Within the Institution of Social Studies' unit of Peace and Development Studies my teaching focuses on conflict transformation, negotiation and mediation strategies, peace building, global governance and research methods. My research and publications deal with peace processes and post-conflict peacebuilding, particularly the local application of the security-development nexus, SSR and DDR policies, peacebuilding policies such as land restitution and illicit drug substitution, civil society involvement in peacebuilding and reconciliation processes. I am also involved in projects concerning police-community relations in violent environments and the role of the military in post-conflict scenarios. Born and raised in Germany, I have lived and worked in different countries, including for over 17 years in Latin America. I have been trained in conflict transformation by the United Nations and the Organization of American States and I was actively involved in the Nicaraguan post-conflict reconstruction process. My current research focuses particularly on the peacebuilding process in Colombia.
My research groups and projects
Project: Peacebuilding amidst ongoing violence: The Contribution of the Swedish Police Training Program to Sustainable Peace in Colombia The project evaluates the training program for Colombia's…
Project: Peacebuilding amidst violence – localising the security-development nexus Our project looks into the generally acclaimed, but contested, imprecise and often misused nexus between the…
Project: Searching for sustainable peace: challenges and opportunities for cooperation between military and civilian actors in Colombia This project focuses on efforts to improve the often damaged…
Project: Teaching and research collaboration with Universidad Javeriana in Colombia This project includes the exchange of teachers and students at a regular basis as well as collaboration in research…
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Nilsson, M., González-Marín, L. (2020). Violent Peace : Local Perceptions of Threat and Insecurity in Post-Conflict Colombia. International Peacekeeping. 27. 238-262.
- Nilsson, M. (2018). Civil Society Actors in Peace Negotiations in Central America. Journal of Civil Society. 14. 135-152.
- Nilsson, M. (2018). Building Peace Amidst Violence : An Analysis of Colombia's Policies to Address Security and Development Challenges. Iberoamericana - Nordic Journal of Latin American and Carribbean Studies. 47. 34-44.
- Nilsson, M., Taylor, L.K. (2017). Applying the security-development nexus on the ground : Land restitution in Colombia. Conflict, Security and Development. 17. 73-89.
- Taylor, L., Nilsson, M., Amezquite-Castro, B. (2016). Reconstructing the social fabric amid ongoing violence : attitudes toward reconciliation and structural transformation in Colombia. Peacebuilding. 4. 83-98.
- Nilsson, M. (2015). Friedensverhandlungen [Peace Negotiations]. Wissenschaft und Frieden. 6-9.
- Nilsson, M. (2010). Grassroots Reconciliation Stories from Post-Conflict Nicaragua. Social Alternatives. 29. 49-54.
- Nilsson, M. (2005). The Importance of the Relationship between Civil Society and the Defense Sector for Peacebuilding in Nicaragua. Pensamiento Propio. 21. 55-69.
- Nilsson, M. (2005). The Role of Universities in Peacebuilding : A Nicaraguan Case Study. Revista Encuentro. 71. 78-93.
- Nilsson, M. (2005). Who Determines the Just Cause of Humanitarian Intervention?. Social Alternatives. 24.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Nilsson, M., González Marín, L. (2018). Building Peace amidst Violence : Is Colombia’s Program to Substitute Crops Used for Illegal Purposes Improving Security and Development?. Presented at: Development Research Conference: Rethinking Development, Gothenburg, August 22-23, 2018.
- Nilsson, M., González Marín, L. (2018). Searching for sustainable peace in Colombia : Civilian and military perceptions concerning the role of the military in the post-conflict future. .
- Nilsson, M. (2017). Searching for sustainable peace : Challenges and opportunities for cooperation between military and civilian actors in Colombia. .
- Nilsson, M. (2016). Restituting Land in the midst of Violence : A Case Study of Colombia. ISA's 57th Annual Convention : Exploring Peace.
- Nilsson, M. (2016). Implementing the security-development nexus : An analysis of the state level in the example of reconstruction in Colombia. .
- Nilsson, M. (2015). Peacebuilding And Local Ownership : Who Owned the Reconciliation Process in Nicaragua?. ISA's 56th Annual Convention : Global IR and Regional Worlds.
- Nilsson, M. (2015). Restituting Land in the midst of Violence: A Case Study of Colombia”. .
- Nilsson, M. (2015). The challenges of land restitution in Colombia. .
- Nilsson, M. (2013). Reconstructing Colombia. .
- Nilsson, M. (2012). Security Sector Reform in Angola, 2002-2012. .
- Nilsson, M. (2012). Global Governance and Regional Rebalancing : Southern Hegemons and the Bid for Regional Representation in the UN Security Council. Conference: Regional Rebalancing and Unanticipated Consequences of the Global Crisis (Aalborg University, Denmark).
- Nilsson, M. (1996). Cultural Diplomacy and Foreign Policy : German-American Relations, 1955-1968. New York, Peter Lang Publishing.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Nilsson, M. (2020). Security-Development Nexus in Peacebuilding. The Palgrave Encyclopedia of Peace and Conflict Studies. Cham, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Taylor, L., Nilsson, M., Forero, P., Restrepo, A. (2020). Conducting field research amid violence : experiences from Colombia. Researching Peace, Conflict and Power in the Field. Cham, Springer Nature. 9-28.
- Nilsson, M. (2015). Peacebuilding and local ownership : Who owned the reconciliation process in post-conflict Nicaragua?. Local Ownership in International Peacebuilding : Key theoretical and practical issues. London, Routledge. 116-134.
- Gustafsson, J., Nilsson, M. (2012). Conclusions : Latin America and Globalization-Challenges, Responses, and Perspectives in the Twenty-First Century. Latin American responses to globalization in the 21st centur. Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan. 253-262.
- Nilsson, M., Gustafsson, J. (2012). Latin American Responses to Globalization in the 21st Century : Introduction. Latin American Responses to Globalization in the 21st Century. Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan. 1-15.
Collection (editor) (Refereed)
- Nilsson, M., Gustafsson, J. (2012). Latin American Responses to Globalization in the 21st Century. Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan. 267.
Article, book review (Refereed)
- Nilsson, M. (2013). David Close, Salvador Martí i Puig, and Shelley A. McConnell, eds., The Sandin-istas and Nicaragua Since 1979. Boulder: Lynne Rienner, 2011. Latin American Politics and Society. 55. 200-203.
- Nilsson, M. (2013). The Sandinistas and Nicaragua Since 1979. Latin American Politics and Society. 55. 200-203.
- Nilsson, M. (2002). Book review: Violent Peace by David Mares. Latin American Politics and Society. 44. 163-168.
Conference paper (Other academic)
Other (Other academic)
Article in journal (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
- Nilsson, M. (2005). All Winners- No Losers? : Reflections on the Troubled State of Nicaragua’s Democracy’. FOCALPoint online, Canada. 4. 3-5.