I received my Ph.D. in History with focus on international relations from the University of Kansa (USA) and I teach mainly in the areas of conflict transformation, negotiation and mediation strategies, peace building, global governance and research methods. My research and publications focus on peace processes and post-conflict peacebuilding, particularly the local application of the security-development nexus, SSR and DDR policies, peacebuilding policies such as land restitution and illicit drug substitution, civil society involvement in peacebuilding and reconciliation processes. Born and raised in Germany, I have lived and worked in different countries, including for over 17 years in Latin America. I have been trained in conflict transformation by the United Nations and the Organization of American States and I was actively involved in the Nicaraguan post-conflict reconstruction process. My current research focuses on the peacebuilding process in Colombia.
My research groups and projects
Project: Peacebuilding amidst ongoing violence: The Contribution of the Swedish Police Training Program to Sustainable Peace in Colombia The project evaluates the training program for Colombia's…
Project: Peacebuilding amidst violence – localising the security-development nexus Our project looks into the generally acclaimed, but contested, imprecise and often misused nexus between the…
Project: Searching for sustainable peace: challenges and opportunities for cooperation between military and civilian actors in Colombia This project focuses on efforts to improve the often damaged…
Project: Teaching and research collaboration with Universidad Javeriana in Colombia This project includes the exchange of teachers and students at a regular basis as well as collaboration in research…
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Nilsson, M., González-Marín, L. (2019). Violent Peace : Local Perceptions of Threat and Insecurity in Post-Conflict Colombia. International Peacekeeping.
- Nilsson, M. (2018). Civil Society Actors in Peace Negotiations in Central America. Journal of Civil Society. 14. 135-152.
- Nilsson, M. (2018). Building Peace Amidst Violence : An Analysis of Colombia's Policies to Address Security and Development Challenges. Iberoamericana - Nordic Journal of Latin American and Carribbean Studies. 47. 34-44.
- Nilsson, M., Taylor, L.K. (2017). Applying the security-development nexus on the ground : Land restitution in Colombia. Conflict, Security and Development. 17. 73-89.
- Taylor, L., Nilsson, M., Amezquite-Castro, B. (2016). Reconstructing the social fabric amid ongoing violence : attitudes toward reconciliation and structural transformation in Colombia. Peacebuilding. 4. 83-98.
- Nilsson, M. (2015). Friedensverhandlungen [Peace Negotiations]. Wissenschaft und Frieden. 6-9.
- Nilsson, M. (2010). Grassroots Reconciliation Stories from Post-Conflict Nicaragua. Social Alternatives. 29. 49-54.
- Nilsson, M. (2005). The Importance of the Relationship between Civil Society and the Defense Sector for Peacebuilding in Nicaragua. Pensamiento Propio. 21. 55-69.
- Nilsson, M. (2005). The Role of Universities in Peacebuilding : A Nicaraguan Case Study. Revista Encuentro. 71. 78-93.
- Nilsson, M. (2005). Who Determines the Just Cause of Humanitarian Intervention?. Social Alternatives. 24.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Nilsson, M., González Marín, L. (2018). Building Peace amidst Violence: Is Colombia’s Program to substitute Crops used for illegal Purposes improving Security and Development?. Development Research Conference : Rethinking Development.
- Nilsson, M., González Marín, L. (2018). Searching for sustainable peace in Colombia : Civilian and military perceptions concerning the role of the military in the post-conflict future. .
- Nilsson, M. (2017). Searching for sustainable peace : Challenges and opportunities for cooperation between military and civilian actors in Colombia. .
- Nilsson, M. (2016). Restituting Land in the midst of Violence : A Case Study of Colombia. ISA's 57th Annual Convention : Exploring Peace.
- Nilsson, M. (2016). Implementing the security-development nexus : An analysis of the state level in the example of reconstruction in Colombia. .
- Nilsson, M. (2015). Peacebuilding And Local Ownership : Who Owned the Reconciliation Process in Nicaragua?. ISA's 56th Annual Convention : Global IR and Regional Worlds.
- Nilsson, M. (2015). Restituting Land in the midst of Violence: A Case Study of Colombia”. .
- Nilsson, M. (2015). The challenges of land restitution in Colombia. .
- Nilsson, M. (2013). Reconstructing Colombia. .
- Nilsson, M. (2012). Security Sector Reform in Angola, 2002-2012. .
- Nilsson, M. (2012). Global Governance and Regional Rebalancing : Southern Hegemons and the Bid for Regional Representation in the UN Security Council. Conference: Regional Rebalancing and Unanticipated Consequences of the Global Crisis (Aalborg University, Denmark).
- Nilsson, M. (1996). Cultural Diplomacy and Foreign Policy : German-American Relations, 1955-1968. New York, Peter Lang Publishing.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Nilsson, M. (2015). Peacebuilding and local ownership : Who owned the reconciliation process in post-conflict Nicaragua?. Local Ownership in International Peacebuilding : Key theoretical and practical issues. London, Routledge. 116-134.
- Gustafsson, J., Nilsson, M. (2012). Conclusions : Latin America and Globalization-Challenges, Responses, and Perspectives in the Twenty-First Century. Latin American responses to globalization in the 21st centur. Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan. 253-262.
- Nilsson, M., Gustafsson, J. (2012). Latin American Responses to Globalization in the 21st Century : Introduction. Latin American Responses to Globalization in the 21st Century. Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan. 1-15.
Collection (editor) (Refereed)
- Nilsson, M., Gustafsson, J. (2012). Latin American Responses to Globalization in the 21st Century. Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan. 267.
Article, book review (Refereed)
Conference paper (Other academic)
Article, book review (Other academic)
- Nilsson, M. (2013). The Sandinistas and Nicaragua Since 1979. Latin American Politics and Society. 55. 200-203.
- Nilsson, M. (2013). David Close, Salvador Martí i Puig, and Shelley A. McConnell, eds., The Sandin-istas and Nicaragua Since 1979. Boulder: Lynne Rienner, 2011. Latin American Politics and Society. 55. 200-203.
Other (Other academic)
Article in journal (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
- Nilsson, M. (2005). All Winners- No Losers? : Reflections on the Troubled State of Nicaragua’s Democracy’. FOCALPoint online, Canada. 4. 3-5.