Ph.D. History and international relations, University of Kansas, USA I teach mainly in the areas of conflict resolution, negotiation and mediation strategies, peace building, globalization, international organizations and research methods. My research and publications focus on peace processes and post-conflict peace building, particularly the security-development nexus, SSR and DDR policies, land restitution, civil society involvement in peace building and reconciliation processes. Born and raised in Germany, I have lived and worked in different countries, including for over 17 years in Latin America. She has been trained in conflict resolution by the UN and the Organization of American States and, as part of the university community, was actively involved in the Nicaraguan post-conflict reconstruction process. My current research focuses on the peace building process in Colombia.
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Nilsson, M., Taylor, L.K. (2017). Applying the security-development nexus on the ground : Land restitution in Colombia. Conflict, Security and Development. 17. 73-89.
- Taylor, L., Nilsson, M., Amezquite-Castro, B. (2016). Reconstructing the social fabric amid ongoing violence : attitudes toward reconciliation and structural transformation in Colombia. Peacebuilding. 4. 83-98.
- Nilsson, M. (2015). Friedensverhandlungen [Peace Negotiations]. Wissenschaft und Frieden. 6-9.
- Nilsson, M. (2010). Grassroots Reconciliation Stories from Post-Conflict Nicaragua. Social Alternatives. 29. 49-54.
- Nilsson, M. (2005). The Role of Universities in Peacebuilding : A Nicaraguan Case Study. Revista Encuentro. 71. 78-93.
- Nilsson, M. (2005). The Importance of the Relationship between Civil Society and the Defense Sector for Peacebuilding in Nicaragua. Pensamiento Propio. 21. 55-69.
- Nilsson, M. (2005). Who Determines the Just Cause of Humanitarian Intervention?. Social Alternatives. 24.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Nilsson, M. (2015). The challenges of land restitution in Colombia. .
- Nilsson, M. (2013). Reconstructing Colombia. .
- Nilsson, M. (2012). Global Governance and Regional Rebalancing : Southern Hegemons and the Bid for Regional Representation in the UN Security Council. Conference: Regional Rebalancing and Unanticipated Consequences of the Global Crisis (Aalborg University, Denmark).
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Nilsson, M. (1996). Cultural Diplomacy and Foreign Policy : German-American Relations, 1955-1968. New York, Peter Lang Publishing.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Nilsson, M. (2015). Peacebuilding and local ownership : Who owned the reconciliation process in post-conflict Nicaragua?. Local Ownership in International Peacebuilding : Key theoretical and practical issues. London, Routledge. 116-134.
- Nilsson, M., Gustafsson, J. (2012). Latin American Responses to Globalization in the 21st Century : Introduction. Latin American Responses to Globalization in the 21st Century. Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan. 1-15.
- Gustafsson, J., Nilsson, M. (2012). Conclusions : Latin America and Globalization-Challenges, Responses, and Perspectives in the Twenty-First Century. Latin American responses to globalization in the 21st centur. Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan. 253-262.
Collection (editor) (Refereed)
- Nilsson, M., Gustafsson, J. (2012). Latin American Responses to Globalization in the 21st Century. Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan. 267.
Article, book review (Refereed)
Article, book review (Other academic)
- Nilsson, M. (2013). The Sandinistas and Nicaragua Since 1979. Latin American Politics and Society. 55. 200-203.
- Nilsson, M. (2013). David Close, Salvador Martí i Puig, and Shelley A. McConnell, eds., The Sandin-istas and Nicaragua Since 1979. Boulder: Lynne Rienner, 2011. Latin American Politics and Society. 55. 200-203.
Other (Other academic)
Article in journal (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
- Nilsson, M. (2005). All Winners- No Losers? : Reflections on the Troubled State of Nicaragua’s Democracy’. FOCALPoint online, Canada. 4. 3-5.