I am a professor in sustainability sciences with focus on environmental geochemistry at the Department of Biology and Environmental Science. My current research interests are on the chemistry of sediments and soils (and related pore waters and gases) in their pristine state and when altered by human activities. I am also interested in the relationships between life and chemistry in geological environments.
I am involved in teaching geosciences and environmental science in the Environmental Analyst Programme (undergraduate level) and in the Environmental Science and Sustainability Programme (master level). Both programmes are in the Faculty of Life and Health Sciences. I am also an examiner for B.Sc. theses and a Ph.D. supervisor.
I am participating of several research projects with focus on the response of natural systems to climate change. We are investigating, for instance, how climate change may affect biogeochemical cycles in sediments of the Baltic Sea and, therefore, how environmental conditions (such as oxygen levels) may be modified in the future. Understanding the natural systems and how they are affected by climate change will be important to plan for remediation actions in a global warming scenario. Another important consequence of climate change to the marine environment is the stability of large reservoirs of methane trapped as gas hydrates in deep sea. The stability of such systems is sensitive to glacial- interglacial changes in water pressure (sea-level) and temperature, but also to the poorly understood dynamics of venting structures observed to release gas to the oceans. An improved understanding of gas release over time is of wide scientific and social relevance, due to its impacts on global carbon budgets, marine life, seabed slope stability and resource assessments. I am participating of research projects in the Amazon deep-sea fan and in the Rio Grande Cone (Atlantic Ocean), and in the Nile deep-sea fan (Mediterranean Sea) to help unravelling the impact of climate change on stability of gas hydrates in marine environments.
Another important part of my research activities involves the study of metal contamination of marine sediments in the Baltic Sea and soils in Southern Sweden. In the latter case, we are investigating the leaching of metals from recently discovered acid sulphate soils. Such soils may form when water table is artificially lowered to allow cultivation. Sulphides present in soil are exposed and react with oxygen and form sulphuric acid that promotes metal leaching and possible contamination of water resources. We are also initiating a study to understand the distribution of heavy metals in sediments of the Baltic Sea. Recent studies show that despite rigorous controls for the emissions of metals to air and water, pollution levels may not be diminishing.
Research groups and projects
Environmental Geochemistry Our research group consists of environmental scientists working with issues related to environmental geochemistry, which is the study of how chemical processes and flows in…
Project: Contamination of water resources in southern Sweden by iron and aluminium Contamination of water resources by metals is a matter of concern in areas where acid sulphate soils exist. Our…
Project: Metal accumulation in the Baltic Sea sediments: implications for environmental monitoring programs and mitigation actions The load of trace metals to Baltic Sea waters and their accumulation…
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Braga, R., Iglesias, R.S., Romio, C., Praeg, D., Miller, D., et al. (2020). Modelling methane hydrate stability changes and gas release due to seasonal oscillations in bottom water temperatures on the Rio Grande cone, offshore southern Brazil. Marine and Petroleum Geology. 112.
- Ramos, A., Pires, J., Ketzer, J.M., Araujo, G., Lourega, R. (2020). Synthesis of new CO2 hydrate inhibitors. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering.
- Ketzer, J.M., Praeg, D., Pivel, M., Augustin, A., Rodrigues, L.F., et al. (2019). Gas Seeps at the Edge of the Gas Hydrate Stability Zone on Brazil’s Continental Margin. Geosciences. 9. 1-11.
- Rodrigues, L., Ketzer, J.M., Oliveira, R., Dos Santos, V., Augustin, A., et al. (2019). Molecular and Isotopic Composition of Hydrate-Bound, Dissolved and Free Gases in the Amazon Deep-Sea Fan and Slope Sediments, Brazil. Geosciences. 9. 1-15.
- Rodrigues, L.F., Macario, K.D., Anjos, R.M., Ketzer, J.M., Maraschin, A.J., et al. (2019). Origin and alteration of organic matter in hydrate-bearing sediments of the Rio Grande Cone, Brazil : evidence from biological, physical, and chemical factors.. Radiocarbon. 1-10.
- Giongo, A., Haag, T., Medina-Silva, R., Heemann, R., Pereira, L.M., et al. (2019). Distinct deep subsurface microbial communities in two sandstone units separated by a mudstone layer. Geosciences Journal.
- Rodrigues, L.F., Ramos, A., de Araujo, G., Silveira, E., Ketzer, J.M., et al. (2019). High-Pressure and Automatized System for Study of Natural Gas Hydrates. Energies. 12.
- Cedeno, D.G., Conceicao, R.V., Wilbert de Souza, M.R., Schimdt Quinteiro, R.V., Carniel, L.C., et al. (2019). An experimental study on smectites as nitrogen conveyors in subduction zones. Applied Clay Science. 168. 409-420.
- Tharimela, R., Augustin, A., Ketzer, J.M., Cupertino, J., Miller, D., et al. (2019). 3D CSEM imaging of gas hydrates : insights from the Pelotas Basin, offshore Brazil.. Interpretation. 7. SH111-SH131.
- Stranne, C., O’regan, M., Jakobsson, M., Brüchert, V., Ketzer, J.M. (2019). Can anaerobic oxidation of methane prevent seafloor gas escape in a warming climate?. Solid Earth. 10. 1541-1554.
- Ketzer, J.M., Augustin, A., Rodrigues, L.F., Oliveira, R., Praeg, D., et al. (2018). Gas seeps and gas hydrates in the Amazon deep-sea fan. Geo-Marine Letters. 38. 429-438.
- Engelmann, P.D.M., Dos Santos, V.H.J.M., Barbieri, C.B., Augustin, A.H., Ketzer, J.M., et al. (2018). Environmental monitoring of a landfill area through the application of carbon stable isotopes, chemical parameters and multivariate analysis. Waste Management. 76. 591-605.
- Medina-Silva, R., de Oliveira, R.R., Pivel, M.A.G., Borges, L.G.A., Simao, T.L.L., et al. (2018). Microbial diversity from chlorophyll maximum, oxygen minimum and bottom zones in the southwestern Atlantic Ocean. Journal of Marine Systems. 178. 52-61.
- Iglesias, R.S., Ketzer, J.M., Maraschin, A.J., Sbrissa, G. (2018). Characterization and modeling of CO2‐water‐rock interactions in Hygiene Sandstones (Upper Cretaceous), Denver Basin, aimed for carbon dioxide geological storage. Greenhouse Gases : Science and Technology. 8. 781-795.
- Da S. Ramos, A., de Araujo, G.E., Siviero, L., Ketzer, J.M., Heemann, R., et al. (2018). Comparative assessment between different sample preparation methodologies for PTGA CO2 adsorption assays—Pellet, powder, and fragment samples. Adsorption Science and Technology. 36. 1441-1455.
- Schütz, M.K., Lopes, N.F., Cenci, A., Ketzer, J.M., Einloft, S., et al. (2018). Influence of Alkaline Additives and Buffers on Mineral Trapping of CO2 under Mild Conditions. Chemical Engineering & Technology. 41. 573-579.
- Müller Bicca, M., Philipp, R.P., Jelinek, A.R., Ketzer, J.M., Dos Santos Scherer, C.M., et al. (2017). Permian-Early Triassic tectonics and stratigraphy of the Karoo Supergroup in northwestern Mozambique. Journal of African Earth Sciences. 130. 8-27.
- Dos Santos, V.H.J.M., Ketzer, J.M., Rodrigues, L.F. (2017). Classification of Fuel Blends Using Exploratory Analysis with Combined Data from Infrared Spectroscopy and Stable Isotope Analysis. Energy & Fuels. 31. 523-532.
- Engelmann, P.D.M., Dos Santos, V.H.J.M., Moser, L.I., Do Canto Bruzza, E., Barbieri, C.B., et al. (2017). Environmental monitoring of water resources around a municipal landfill of the Rio Grande do Sul state, Brazil. Environmental science and pollution research international. 24. 21398-21411.
- Medina-Silva, R., Oliviera, R.R., Trindade, F.J., Borges, L.G.A., Simao, T.L.L., et al. (2017). Microbiota associated with tubes of Escarpia sp. from cold seeps in the southwestern Atlantic Ocean constitutes a community distinct from that of surrounding marine sediment and water. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek. International Journal of General and Molecular Microbiology. 111. 533-550.
- Rodrigues, L.F., Ketzer, J.M., Lourega, R.V., Augustin, A.H., Sbrissa, G., et al. (2017). The influence of methane fluxes on the sulfate/methane interface in sediments from the Rio Grande Cone Gas Hydrate Province, southern Brazil : A influência dos fluxos de metano na interface sulfato/metano em sedimentos de hidrato de gás do Cone do Rio Grande, Sul do Brasil. Brazilian Journal of Geology. 47. 369-381.
- Siqueira, T.A., Iglesias, R.S., Ketzer, J.M. (2017). Carbon dioxide injection in carbonate reservoirs : a review of CO2-water-rock interaction studies. Greenhouse Gases : Science and Technology. 7. 802-816.
- Dos Santos, V.H.J.M., Ramos, A.S., Pires, J.P., Engelmann, P.D.M., Lourega, R.V., et al. (2017). Discriminant analysis of biodiesel fuel blends based on combined data from Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy and stable carbon isotope analysis. Chemometrics and Intelligent Laboratory Systems. 161. 70-78.
- Giongo, A., Haag, T., Lopes Simao, T.L., Medina-Silva, R., Utz, L.R.P., et al. (2016). Discovery of a chemosynthesis-based community in the western South Atlantic Ocean. Deep Sea Research Part I : Oceanographic Research Papers. 112. 45-56.
- Ramos, A.D.S., Rodrigues, L.F., de Araujo, G.E., Pozocco, C.T.M., Ketzer, J.M., et al. (2015). Geochemical Characterization of Irati And Palermo Formations (Parana Basin-Southern Brazil) for Shale Oil/Gas Exploration. Energy Technology. 3. 481-487.
- Iglesias, R.S., Ketzer, J.M., Melo, C.L., Heemann, R., Machado, C.X. (2015). Carbon capture and geological storage in Brazil : an overview. Greenhouse Gases : Science and Technology. 5. 119-130.
- Miller, D.J., Ketzer, J.M., Viana, A.R., Kowsmann, R.O., Freire, A.F.M., et al. (2015). Natural gas hydrates in the Rio Grande Cone (Brazil) : A new province in the western South Atlantic. Marine and Petroleum Geology. 67. 187-196.
- Rodrigues, L., Goudinho, F., Laroque, D., Lourega, R., Heemann, R., et al. (2014). An Alternative Gas Chromatography Setting for Geochemical Analysis.. Journal of Chemical Engineering & Process Technology. 5.
- Santarosa, C.S., Crandall, D., Haljasmaa, I.V., Hur, T., Fazio, J.J., et al. (2013). CO2 sequestration potential of Charqueadas coal field in Brazil. International Journal of Coal Geology. 106. 25-34.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Melo, C.L., Goudinho, F.S., Bressan, L.W., Constant, M.J., Dos Santos, V.H.J.M., et al. (2017). Integration results of soil CO2 flux and subsurface gases in the Ressacada Pilot site, Southern Brazil. 13th International Conference on Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies, GHGT-13. 3793-3804.
- Melo, C.L., Moreira, A.C.D.C.A., Goudinho, F.S., Bressan, L.W., Constant, M.J., et al. (2017). CO2MOVE Project : The New Brazilian Field Lab Fully Dedicated to CO2 MMV Experiments. 13th International Conference on Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies, GHGT-13. 3699-3715.
- Dano, A., Praeg, D., Migeon, S., Augustin, J., Ceramicola, S., et al. (2014). Fluid Seepage in Relation to Seabed Deformation on the Central Nile Deep-Sea Fan, Part 1 : Evidence from Sidescan Sonar Data. Submarine Mass Movements and their Consequences : 6th International Symposium. 129-139.
- Migeon, S., Ceramicola, S., Praeg, D., Ducassou, E., Dano, A., et al. (2014). Post-failure Processes on the Continental Slope of the Central Nile Deep-Sea Fan : Interactions Between Fluid Seepage, Sediment Deformation and Sediment-Wave Construction. Submarine Mass Movements and their Consequences : 6th International Symposium. 117-127.
- de Castro Araujo Moreira, A.C., Santana Musse, A.P., Do Rosario, F., Chiaranda Lazzarin, H.S., Cavelhao, G., et al. (2014). The first Brazilian Field Lab fully dedicated to CO2 MMV experiments : from the start-up to the initial results. 12th International Conference on Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies, GHGT-12. 6227-6238.
- Oliva, A., de Castro Araujo Moreira, A.C., Chang, H.K., Do Rosario, F.F., Santana Musse, A.P., et al. (2014). A comparison of three methods for monitoring CO2 migration in soil and shallow subsurface in the Ressacada Pilot site, Southern Brazil. 12th International Conference on Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies, GHGT-12. 3992-4002.
- Praeg, D., Ketzer, J.M., Augustin, A.H., Migeon, S., Ceramicola, S., et al. (2014). Fluid Seepage in Relation to Seabed Deformation on the Central Nile Deep-Sea Fan, Part 2 : Evidence from Multibeam and Sidescan Imagery. Submarine Mass Movements and their Consequences : 6th International Symposium. 141-150.
- Melo, C.L., Bressan, L.W., Ketzer, J.M., Constant, M.J., de Castro Araujo Moreira, A.C. (2014). Study of gas tracers for CO2 monitoring. 12th International Conference on Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies, GHGT-12. 3864-3868.
- Machado, C.X., Rockett, G.C., Ketzer, J.M. (2013). Brazilian Renewable Carbon Capture and Geological Storage Map: Possibilities for the Parana Basin (Brazil).. GHGT-11 Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies, 18-22 November 2012, Kyoto, Japan. 6105-6111.
- Rockett, G.C., Ketzer, J.M., Ramirez, A., van Den Broek, M. (2013). CO2 Storage Capacity of Campos Basin's Oil Fields, Brazil.. GHGT-11 : Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies, 18-22 November 2012, Kyoto, Japan. 5124-5133.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Ketzer, J.M., Iglesias, R., Einloft, S. (2017). Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions with CO2 Capture and Geological Storage.. Handbook of climate change mitigation and adaptation.. Springer. 2197-2237.
Doctoral thesis, comprehensive summary (Other academic)
- Ketzer, J.M. (2002). Diagenesis and Sequence Stratigraphy : an integrated approach to constrain evolution of reservoir quality in sandstones. Doctoral Thesis. Uppsala, Acta Universitatis Upsaliensis.
Collection (editor) (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
- Ketzer, J.M., Machado, C., Rockett, G., Iglesias, R. (2016). Brazilian Atlas of CO2 Capture and Geological Storage : Atlas Brazileiro de Captura e Armazenamento Geologico de CO2. EDIPUCRS. 95.
Patent (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
- Silva, I., Ketzer, J.M., Steiger, A. (2014). Device for collecting sample of fluids in underwater medium..