I am an interdisciplinary scholar keen on working in challenging projects incorporating community and environmental psychology perspectives to explore issues of sustainable tourism broadly related to nature protection and rural community development.
I have received my PhD from the Department of Recreation, Sport and Tourism at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (IL, USA) in 2012.
My work is informed by the philosophy of empowerment and draws from the fields of, policy, sociology and ecology to shed light on the socio-cultural aspects of the relationships between communities of place and local 'natures', and how tourism allows to re-negotiate these relationships.
Currently I am engaged in research on ecotourism, environmental governance and community injustice.
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Woosnam, K.M., Strzelecka, M., Nisbett, G.S., Keith, S.J. (2019). Examining Millennials' Global Citizenship Attitudes and Behavioral Intentions to Engage in Environmental Volunteering. Sustainability. 11.
- Boley, B.B., Strzelecka, M., Watson, A. (2018). Place distinctiveness, psychological empowerment, and support for tourism. Annals of Tourism Research. 70. 137-139.
- Strzelecka, M., Woosnam, K.M., Nisbett, G.S. (2018). Self-efficacy mechanism at work : the context of environmental volunteer travel. Journal of Sustainable Tourism. 26. 2002-2020.
- Strzelecka, M., Okulicz-Kozaryn, A. (2018). Is tourism conducive to residents' social trust? : Evidence form large-scale social surveys. Tourism Review. 73. 1-27.
- Boley, B.B., Strzelecka, M., Woosnam, K.M. (2018). Resident perceptions of the economic benefits of tourism : Toward a common measure. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research. 42. 1295-1314.
- Woosnam, K.M., Aleshinloye, K.D., Strzelecka, M., Erul, E. (2018). The Role of Place Attachment in Developing Emotional Solidarity With Residents. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research. 42. 1058-1066.
- Strzelecka, M., Gwendelyn, N., Kyle, W. (2017). The hedonic nature of conservation volunteer travel. Tourism Management. 63. 417-425.
- Nisbett, G.S., Strzelecka, M. (2017). Appealing to Goodwill or YOLO-Promoting Conservation Volunteering to Millennials. VOLUNTAS - International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations. 28. 288-306.
- Strzelecka, M., Boley, B.B., Strzelecka, C. (2017). Empowerment and resident support for tourism in rural Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) : the case of Pomerania, Poland. Journal of Sustainable Tourism. 25. 554-572.
- Okulicz-Kozaryn, A., Strzelecka, M. (2017). Happy Tourists, Unhappy Locals. Social Indicators Research. 134. 789-804.
- Strzelecka, M., Boley, B.B., Woosnam, K.M. (2017). Place attachment and empowerment : do residents need to be attached to be empowered?. Annals of Tourism Research. 66. 61-73.
- Strzelecka, M., Rechcinski, M., Grodzinska-Jurczak, M. (2017). Using PP GIS interviews to understand residents’ perspectiveof European ecological network Natura 2000. Tourism Geographies. 19. 848-877.
- Boley, B.B., Strzelecka, M. (2016). Towards a universal measure of "Support for Tourism". Annals of Tourism Research. 61. 238-241.
- Strzelecka, M. (2015). The Prospects for Empowerment through Local Governance for Tourism—the LEADER Approach. Journal of Rural and Community Development. 10. 78-97.
- Strzelecka, M., Wicks, B.E. (2015). Community Participation and Empowerment in Rural Post-Communist Societies : Lessons from the Leader Approach in Pomerania, Poland. Tourism Planning & Development. 12. 381-397.
- Strzelecka, M., Gutowska, J., Grodzińska-Jurczak, M. (2014). The superfluous obstacle or the prerequisite for sustainable development : exposing participation in Leader and Natura 2000 in Poland. Ekonomia i Środowisko. 48. 46-63.
- Strzelecka, M., Josiam, B., Spears, D.L., Monterrubio, J.C. (2014). Looking At Residents’ Attitudes towards Spring Break Tourism in Texas through the Lens of Community Attachment. Florida International University Hospitality Review. 31.
- Strzelecka, M., Grodzińska-Jurczak, M., Pietrzyk-Kaszyńska, A. (2013). Empowerment – human dimension in nature conservation. Chrońmy Przyrodę Ojczystą. 69. 86-95.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Grodzińska-Jurczak, M., Strzelecka, M., Kamal, S., Gutowska, J. (2012). Effectiveness of Nature Conservation : A Case of Natura 2000 Sites in Poland. Protected Area Management. InTech.