Marianne holds a PhD. in education from Linnaeus University in Växjö, a M.Sc. in Education from Uppsala University and a University Certificate in Computer Science from Jönköping University. Her research interests concerns students with reading and writing difficulties/dyslexia, their learning process, and how to support/enhance their learning by the means of assistive technologies. Marianne has earlier been working in three EU funded projects with regard to the use of ICT as a tool to support learning. One project, COLDEX, COllaborative Learning and Distributed EXperimentation, aimed at developing and using new IT approaches and computational tools to foster scientific experimentation, modelling and simulation in distributed collaborative settings with local student groups doing experiments locally and on a distance while participating in a global knowledge exchange. The other project,Focus Alfa, was directed towards adults with reading and writing difficulties learning an additional language. Three countries participated, trying out new methodologies for teaching English as a foreign language and how to use assistive technologies to support the learning process. The third EU funded project, CallDysc, explored ways of using mobile technologies (e.g. phones or PSP) to teach students with dyslexia an additional language.
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Svensson, I., Nordström, T., Lindeblad, E., Gustafson, S., Björn, M., et al. (2019). Effects of assistive technology for students with reading and writing disabilities. Disability and Rehabilitation : Assistive Technology. 1-13.
- Milrad, M., Björn, M., Jackson, M.H. (2005). Designing networked learning environments to support intercultural communication and collaboration in science learning. International Journal of Web Based Communities. 1. 308-319.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Kraus, A., Granklint Enochson, P., Björn Milrad, M. (2016). On the Field of Tension of Media-Related Visual Cultures and the Demands of School : Empowering Teenage Pupils (in Sweden), and the Seeing Glasses as a Development of Camera Ethnography. Presented at: 25th Kongress der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Erziehungswissenschaft (DGfE) at the University of Kassel: „Spaces for Education. Spaces of Education“, Kassel, 13-16 March, 2016.
- Björn Milrad, M. (2014). Using mobile assistive technologies to promote classroom participation and inclusion of pupils with dyslexia. Paper presented at International Society for Cultural and Activity Research Congress 2014.
- Björn Milrad, M. (2012). Students with Reading and Writing difficulties and Their Possibility for Participation in Higher Education in Sweden. ECER 2012, The Need for Educational Research to Champion Freedom, Education and Development for All : Network: 22. Research in Higher Education.
- Frithiof, E., Björn, M. (2009). Access to literacy - Glimpses from two different parts of the world. NERA's 37th Congress, Trondheim, 5-7 March, 2009.
- Björn, M., Gillberg, C. (2006). Democracy and Diversity in Swedish Higher Education. .
- Milrad, M., Björn, M., Karlsson, M. (2004). The Collaborative Learning and Distributed Experimentation (COLDEX) EU Project: An Innovative Approach to Integrate Teacher Education into Formal and Informal Learning Supported by ICT .
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Silander, C., Björn Milrad, M. (2014). Evidences learning online. NGL 2014, Next Generation Learning Conference, Falun, Dalarna University, March 19-20, 2014.
- Björn Milrad, M. (2013). Facing dilemmas - introducing assistive technology for pupils to use in the classroom. .
- Björn Milrad, M. (2011). Funktionsmöjligheter inom högre utbildning. Handikappforskningens dag. Forskning om funktionsmöjligheter, 22 november, HAREC, Växjö.
- Björn, M., Frithiof, E. (2011). Att nå fram : Informerat samtycke från personer med kognitiv funktionsnedsättning. Etiska dilemman i kvalitativ forskning. Workshop i Umeå, 16-17 juni.
- Björn, M. (2008). Universitetsstudier – Ger kompenserande hjälpmedel likvärdiga villkor?. Handikappforskningens dag, Utbildning, miljö och funktionshinder. 26 november, HAREC, Malmö.
Doctoral thesis, monograph (Other academic)
- Björn Milrad, M. (2010). Studenter med läs- och skrivsvårigheter som deltagare i högre utbildning. Doctoral Thesis. Växjö, Kalmar, Linnaeus University Press. 157.