Marina WernholmSenior lecturer
I´m a PhD student in pedagogy.
My research contributes with knowledge about children’s out-of-school teaching and learning journeys in digital communities, which is of relevance to educational research as the conditions in which children shape their social relationships, identities and learn are changing. Children today are living in an age of great technological progression and are in a unique position to share their experience of learning in practices that are in a constant state of flux. The compilation thesis includes four studies with specified aims and research questions.
The thesis adds to the educational research field taking its interest in recognising and building upon children’s familiarity with digital cultures and digital literacies, so that learning in school can address and utilise children’s experiences of technology and online worlds. The thesis contributes with empirical models and suggestions for conceptual frameworks outlining children´s pathways as participatory subjects. The empirical models and the tentative conceptual frameworks can assist stakeholders in their work with connecting children´s out-of-school learning experiences in order to support, challenge and problematise their learning in school. If children’s previous experience of learning should come into the world (in school), depends entirely on whether and how others (teachers) acknowledge these experiences.
My research groups
Digital Tools and Digital Competence in Preschool and School Teaching We conduct research on what happens and what becomes possible when digital tools are used in preschool-class and school teaching,…
Ethnographic Forum Ethnographic Forum is a research group where members share a common interest in qualitative and ethnographic fieldwork. The group consists of researchers and graduate students from…
Research in Inclusion, Democracy and Equity (RIDE) The research environment RIDE consists of researchers who conduct studies in the fields of special pedagogy and social pedagogy. The research focuses…
Research on pedagogical professions and practices (PEPP) The environment conducts research on teachers’ work and children’s/pupils’ everyday life and learning at preschool, preschool class, extended…
My completed research projects
Article in journal (Refereed)
Wernholm, M., Danielsson, K., Ebbelind, A., Palmér, H., Patron, E. (2023). Young Pupils’ Joint Creation of Multimodal Fairy Tales Using Analogue and Digital Resources. Education Sciences. 13 (6).
Wernholm, M. (2023). Undervisning i ett fritidshem för alla?. Pedagogisk forskning i Sverige.
Status: Epub ahead of print
Wernholm, M. (2021). Children’s Out-of-School Learning in Digital Gaming Communities. Designs for Learning. 13 (1). 8-19.
Wernholm, M. (2021). Metodologiska och etiska utmaningar med att utforska barns perspektiv på deltagande i en hybrid verklighet. Barn. 39 (2-3). 63-78.
Wernholm, M. (2021). A theoretical framework for understanding children's learning at play in a hybrid reality. International Journal of Play. 10 (3). 261-284.
Wernholm, M., Reneland-Forsman, L. (2019). Children's representation of self in social media communities. Learning, Culture and Social Interaction. 23. 1-15.
Wernholm, M. (2018). Children's shared experiences of participating in digital communities. Nordic Journal of Digital Literacy. 13 (4). 38-55.
Wernholm, M., Vigmo, S. (2015). Capturing children's knowledge-making dialogues in Minecraft. International Journal of Research and Method in Education. 38 (3). 230-246.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Wernholm, M., Danielsson, K., Ebbelind, A., Palmér, H., Patron, E. (2023). Pupils creating digital animations in the early years of schooling. .
- Ebbelind, A., Palmér, H., Danielsson, K., Patron, E., Wernholm, M. (2022). Six-year-olds create digital animations to reinforce mathematical problem solving. Book of Abstracts ‘Cultures of play: Actors, Affordances and Arenas’ Glasgow, Scotland 23rd – 26th August 2022.
- Wernholm, M. (2022). Children's learning during play in a hybrid reality. Conference proceedings: Book of Abstracts : "Cultures of play: Actors, Affordances and Arenas".
- Wernholm, M. (2021). Children's Out-of-school Learning in Digital Gaming Communities. .
- Matta, C., Fälth, L., Wernholm, M., Andersson, A. (2021). Raising our eyes from effects : The mechanistic rewards of integrating neuroimaging, behavioral measures and ethnographic methods in the study of an educational intervention. Workshop: Mechanisms in the Sciences. Integrating Social and Biological Perspectives. September 27th and 28th, 2021 : Department of Logic, History and Philosophy of Science. UNED-Madrid.
- Wernholm, M. (2021). Teaching based on children's experiences of learning at play in a hybrid reality. .
- Wernholm, M. (2020). Children’s Out-of-school Learning in Digital Gaming Communities. .
- Wernholm, M. (2020). Children’s Representation of Self in Social Media Communities. .
- Wernholm, M. (2019). Does 'Where' matter?. Proceedings of the 2019 Connected Learning Summit. 229-230.
- Wernholm, M. (2019). Barns erfarenheter av lärande i digital lek. .
- Wernholm, M. (2015). Historical representations in otherwise ostensibly non-historical games: 9/11 represented in Minecraft. Challenge the past / diversify the future: Proceedings of the International Conference. 29.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Wernholm, M., Vigmo, S. (2017). Capturing children's knowledge-making dialogues in Minecraft. E-research in educational contexts : The roles of technologies, ethics and social media. Oxon, Routledge. 8-24.
Article in journal (Other academic)
Delblanc, Å., Wernholm, M. (2023). Barns lek i modern barndom. Barn. 41 (1).
Chapter in book (Other academic)
- Wernholm, M. (2022). Digitala lekplatser i fritidshemmet. Stockholm, Innovation, forskning och utveckling i skola och förskola (IFOUS).
- Ackesjö, H., Wernholm, M., Gardesten, J. (2022). Mjuka förmågor : vad är det och vad kan det bidra till?. Stockholm, Innovation, forskning och utveckling i skola och förskola (IFOUS).
Report (Other academic)
- Wernholm, M. (2022). Fritidshemslärares erfarenheter av extra anpassningar och särskilt stöd i fritidshemmet. Stockholm, Specialpedagogiska skolmyndigheten, SPSM. 23.
Doctoral thesis, comprehensive summary (Other academic)
- Wernholm, M. (2020). Children's learning at play in a hybrid reality. Doctoral Thesis. Växjö, Linnaeus University Press. 115.