My research and teaching focus on topics such as entrepreneurship, social entrepreneurship, organisation, globalisation, sustainability, business ethics, and CSR. In my research, I mainly use philosophical and ethical ideas and concepts.
My doctoral thesis is an ethnographically inspired study (where I apply philosophical concepts) about the social initiative 'Next Generation Social Entrepreneurs'. You can find the full thesis, Infinitely Demanding Entrepreneurship, as a pdf below.
I am currently teaching in the following courses:
1FE918. Introduction to entrepreneurship (course responsible)
2FE512. Organiserandets utmaningar och problem (course responsible)
1FE466. Entreprenörskap och grundläggande affärsutveckling (course responsible)
1FE624. Affärsutveckling och entreprenörskap (teacher)
4FE534. Contemporary issues in management (teacher)
2FE78E. Examensarbete i organisation (supervisor)
I am regional representative (Nordic countries) for the conference SCOS.
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Bjerke, B., Karlsson, M. (2013). Why are some people behaving or acting entrepreneurially more than others? : Looking at opportunities as part of entrepreneurial behavior or action in more than one way. Journal of Business and Economics. 4. 465-474.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Karlsson, M. (2016). The Practices and Power of Legitimizing Entrepreneurship in an MNC? : Subverting and Reinforcing ‘Business as Usual’. Paper presented at the 6th Latin American and European Meeting on Organization Studies, Viña del Mar, Chile, April 6–9, 2016.
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Karlsson, M., Taalas, S.L. (2015). Social Entrepreneurship Breaking Bad : Reflexive creative subjectivity of 'Friendly Rebels'. Paper presented at the 10th OS Summer Workshop 2015: Organizational Creativity, Play and Entrepreneurship, Chania, Crete, Greece, May 21–23, 2015.
- Karlsson, M. (2015). In search of the limits and possibilities of practicing responsibility and reflexivity in multi-sited ethnography. Paper presented at the 31st EGOS colloquium - Organizations and the Examined Life: Reason, Reflexivity and Responsibility, Athens, Greece, July 2–4, 2015 : Sub-theme 15.
- Karlsson, M. (2014). Dynamics of mosaic tensions that construct the alternative organising form – (corporate) social entrepreneuring. .
- Karlsson, M. (2013). Social entrepreneuring: a move forward through a glance backwards. 22nd Nordic Academy of Management Conference held in University of Iceland Reykjavík 21-23 August 2013. On Practice and Knowledge eruptions. (USB).
- Bjerke, B., Karlsson, M. (2010). On the importance of public entrepreneurs to local governments. Proceedings of the ResearchSymposium on Marketing and Entrepreneurship, Boston, MA.
Book (Other academic)
- Bjerke, B., Karlsson, M. (2013). Social entrepreneurship : to act as if and make a difference. Cheltenham, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Bjerke, B., Karlsson, M. (2011). Samhällsentreprenör : att inte bara vara och agera som om. Malmö, Big Bad Books.