Mexhid Ferati is an Associate Professor in Informatics at Linnaeus University. He has an international experience working as a researcher and lecturer in the United States, North Macedonia, and Norway. He earned his PhD in Human-Computer Interaction from Indiana University.
Mexhid Ferati is currently responsible for the following courses:
- User-oriented Design - 2IK430 (BSc)
- Current Topics within Informatics - 2IK300 (BSc)
- Digital Environments: Information Society and Internet of Things - 4IK506 (MSc)
He is also involved in teaching several modules in the following courses:
- Introduction to Interaction Design - 1IK420 (BSc)
- Methods in Interaction Design - 1IK422 (BSc)
- History, Philosophy and Science of Information Systems - 5IK514 (MSc)
His research interests are within Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, Accessibility, Internet of Things, and STEM education. He worked on projects funded by EU, STINT, EUniWell, Platform eHealth, NSF, and Google and served as a reviewer for several international conferences and journals. He currently leads the Interaction Design Research Group.
The projects he currently coordinates/participates:
He serves as a program manager for the Interaction Design program.
My research groups
My ongoing research projects
Project: EDUTAIN The projects aim at incorporating emergent technologies such as Augmented Reality (AR) in schools to achieve sustainable learning experience. Also, this project will enable…
Project: Fostering science through STEM education (Fostem) This research project aims to increase the interest among youth in North Macedonia for education in science, technology, engineering, and…
Project: Generation Z enters STEM – diversity for a sustainable future The interest of women to study and work within Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) is globally quite low. In…
Project: Onco-Aging: Smart health community for older cancer patients The project aims directly at two major health concerns of contemporary Europe: cancer and an ageing society. It will foster…
My completed research projects
Project: Digital model to support medicine adherence to the public The purpose of this project is to investigate how we can improve drug use through knowledge support and strengthened patient…
Project: Web and mobile accessibility for visually impaired (WMA4VIP) WMA4VIP was an exploratory research project that investigated the challenges that the community of blind and visually impaired…
Article in journal (Refereed)
Ferati, M., Vogel, B. (2020). Accessibility in Web Development Courses : A Case Study. Informatics. 7 (1). 1-15.
Vingen, D., Andrews J, E., Ferati, M. (2020). Usability in Patient-Oriented Drug Interaction Checkers : A Scandinavian Sampling and Heuristic Evaluation. Informatics. 7 (4). 1-27.
Mijuskovic, A., Ferati, M. (2016). Cloud Storage Privacy and Security User Awareness : a Comparative Analysis between Dutch and Macedonian Users. International Journal of Human Capital and Information Technology Professionals. 7 (3). 1-18.
Ferati, M., Pfaff, M.S., Mannheimer, S., Bolchini, D. (2012). Audemes at work : Investigating features of non-speech sounds to maximize content recognition. International journal of human-computer studies. 70 (12). 936-966.
Edwards, R., Stewart, J., Ferati, M. (2010). Assessing Effectiveness the Distributed Pair of Programming Online for an Informatics Curriculum. ACM inroads. 1 (1). 48-54.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Dalipi, F., Ferati, M., Kurti, A., Kastrati, Z. (2022). Investigating the FAIRness of Science and Technology Open Data : A Focus in the Scandinavian Countries. HCI International 2022 Posters. HCII 2022. : 24th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, HCII 2022, Virtual Event, June 26 – July 1, 2022, Proceedings, Part I. 276-283.
- Kurti, A., Dalipi, F., Ferati, M., Kastrati, Z. (2021). Increasing the Understandability and Explainability of Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence Solutions : A Design Thinking Approach. Human Interaction, Emerging Technologies and Future Applications : Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Human Interaction and Emerging Technologies: Future Applications (IHIET – AI 2021), April 28-30, 2021, Strasbourg, France. 37-42.
- Limani, F., Hajra, A., Ferati, M., Radevski, V. (2020). Requirements and Recommendations for University Research Data Repository : A Case Study. Proceedings of the 18th International Conference e-Society, 2-4 april, 2020. 51-58.
- Fuchs, K., Aghaee, N., Ferati, M. (2020). Merits of the technology-enhanced flipped classroom (TEFC) concept in higher education. UDIT Norsk konferanse for utdanning og didaktikk i IT-fagene.
- Ferati, M., Dalipi, F., Kastrati, Z. (2020). Open Government Data Through the Lens of Universal Design. Universal Access in Human-Computer Interaction. Applications and Practice : 14th International Conference, UAHCI 2020, Held as Part of the 22nd HCI International Conference, HCII 2020, Copenhagen, Denmark, July 19–24, 2020, Proceedings, Part II. 331-340.
- Memeti, S., Pllana, S., Ferati, M., Kurti, A., Jusufi, I. (2019). IoTutor : How Cognitive Computing Can Be Applied to Internet of Things Education. . 1-16.
- Ahmed, S.U., Dalipi, F., Ferati, M. (2019). Plugin : a Crowdsourcing Mobile App for Easy Discovery of Public Charging Outlets. HCI International 2019 : Posters. HCII 2019. 323-329.
- Urbas, R., Kuscer, A., Ferati, M., Urska, S.E. (2018). Accessibility of Slovenia’s Museums for Blind and Visually Impaired. Proceedings 9th international symposium on graphic engineering and design, GRID 2018. 489-494.
- Dalipi, F., Ferati, M., Kurti, A. (2018). Integrating MOOCs in Regular Higher Education : Challenges and Opportunities from a Scandinavian Perspective. Learning and Collaboration Technologies : Design, Development and Technological Innovation. LCT 2018. 193-204.
- Giannoumis, G.A., Ferati, M., Pandya, U., Krivonos, D., Pey, T. (2018). Usability of Indoor Network Navigation Solutions for Persons with Visual Impairments. Breaking Down Barriers. CWUAAT 2018. 135-145.
- Ferati, M., Babar, A., Carine, K., Hamidi, A., Mörtberg, C. (2018). Participatory Design Approach to Internet of Things : Co-designing a Smart Shower for and with People with Disabilities. Universal Access in Human-Computer Interaction : Virtual, Augmented, and Intelligent Environments. UAHCI 2018. 246-261.
- Beyene, W., Ferati, M. (2017). A Case for Adaptation to Enhance Usability and Accessibility of Library Resource Discovery Tools. Universal Access in Human–Computer Interaction. Design and Development Approaches and Methods. 145-155.
- Ferati, M., Beyene, W. (2017). Developing Heuristics for Evaluating the Accessibility of Digital Library Interfaces. Universal Access in Human–Computer Interaction. Design and Development Approaches and Methods. 171-181.
- Marcano, L., Yazidi, A., Ferati, M., Komulainen, T. (2017). Towards Effective Automatic Feedback for Simulator Training. Proceedings of the 58th Conference on Simulation and Modelling (SIMS 58)Reykjavik, Iceland, September 25th – 27th, 2017. 203-208.
- Ferati, M., Murano, P., Giannoumis, G.A. (2017). Universal Design of User Interfaces in Self-driving Cars. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing. AHFE 2017. 220-228.
- Dalipi, F., Ferati, M., Yayilgan, S.Y. (2017). User Interface Evaluation of a Ski Injuries Management System. Advances in Human Factors in Sports and Outdoor Recreation. 213-222.
- Bahadur Thapa, R., Ferati, M., Giannoumis, G.A. (2017). Using non-speech sounds to increase web image accessibility for screen-reader users. Proceedings of the 35th ACM International Conference on the Design of Communication.
- Ferati, M., Kurti, A., Vogel, B., Raufi, B. (2016). Augmenting requirements gathering for people with special needs using IoT : A position paper. CHASE '16 : Proceedings of the 9th International Workshop on Cooperative and Human Aspects of Software Engineering. 48-51.
- Ferati, M., Mripa, N., Bunjaku, R. (2016). Accessibility of MOOCs for Blind People in Developing Non-English Speaking Countries. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing. 519-528.
- Ferati, M., Sulejmani, L. (2016). Automatic Adaptation Techniques to Increase the Web Accessibility for Blind Users. HCI International 2016 – Posters' Extended Abstracts : 18th International Conference, HCI International 2016 Toronto, Canada, July 17–22, 2016 Proceedings, Part II. 30-36.
- Trajkova, M., Ferati, M. (2015). Usability Evaluation of Kinect-based System for Ballet Movements. Design, User Experience, and Usability : Users and Interactions : 4th International Conference, DUXU 2015 Held as Part of HCI International 2015 Los Angeles, CA, USA, August 2–7, 2015 Proceedings, Part II. 464-472.
- Raufi, B., Ferati, M., Zenuni, X., Ajdari, J., Ismaili, F. (2015). Methods and Techniques of Adaptive Web Accessibility for the Blind and Visually Impaired. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences : World Conference on Technology, Innovation and Entrepreneurship. 1999-2007.
- Mijuskovic, A., Ferati, M. (2015). User Awareness of Existing Privacy and Security Risks when Storing Data in the Cloud. Proceedings of International Conference on E-Learning 15. 268-273.
- Ferati, M., Raufi, B., Kurti, A., Vogel, B. (2014). Accessibility Requirements for Blind and Visually Impaired in a Regional Context : An Exploratory Study. 2014 IEEE 2nd International Workshop on Usability and Accessibility focused Requirements Engineering (UsARE). 13-16.
- Raufi, B., Ismaili, F., Ajdari, J., Ferati, M., Zenuni, X. (2014). Semantic resource adaptation based on generic ontology models. Proceedings of ICSOFT_PT 2014 : 9th International Conference on Software Paradigm Trends. 103-108.
- Ferati, M. (2013). Investigating bookmarking habits of blind users. Proceedings of the 6th Balkan Conference in Informatics. 137-140.
- Rohani Ghahari, R., Ferati, M., Yang, T., Bolchini, D. (2012). Back Navigation Shortcuts for Screen Reader Users. Proceedings of the 14th international ACM SIGACCESS conference on Computers and accessibility, ASSETS'12. 1-8.
- Yang, T., Ferati, M., Liu, Y., Rohani Ghahari, R., Bolchini, D. (2012). Aural Browsing On-The-Go : Listening-based Back Navigation in Large Web Architectures. Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI'12. 277-286.
- Yang, T., Ferati, M., He, L., Bolchini, D. (2012). Navigating by Index and Guided Tour for Fact Finding. Proceedings of the 30th ACM international conference on Design of communication, SIGDOC'12. 181-190.
- Ferati, M., Mannheimer, S., Bolchini, D. (2011). Usability Evaluation of Acoustic Interfaces for the Blind. Proceedings of the 29th ACM international conference on Design of communication, SIGDOC'11. 9-16.
- Ferati, M., Mannheimer, S., Bolchini, D. (2009). Acoustic Interaction Design through “Audemes” : Experiences with the Blind. Proceedings of the 27th ACM international conference on Design of communication. 23-28.
- Mannheimer, S., Ferati, M., Bolchini, D., Palakal, M. (2009). Educational Sound Symbols for the Visually Impaired. Universal Access in Human-Computer Interaction : Addressing Diversity : 5th International Conference, UAHCI 2009 Held as Part of HCI International 2009 San Diego, CA, USA, July 19-24, 2009 Proceedings, Part I. 106-115.
- Mannheimer, S., Ferati, M., Huckleberry, D., Palakal, M. (2009). Using Audemes as a Learning Medium for the Visually Impaired. HEALTHINF 2009. Second International Conference on Health Informatics. 175-180.
- Ferati, M., Bolchini, D., Mannheimer, S. (2009). Towards a Modeling Language for Designing Auditory Interfaces. Universal Access in Human-Computer Interaction : Applications and Services : 5th International Conference, UAHCI 2009 Held as Part of HCI International 2009 San Diego, CA, USA, July 19-24, 2009 Proceedings, Part III. 502-511.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Ferati, M., Bertoni, M., Dalipi, F., Kurti, A., Jokela, P., et al. (2021). Tackling the Sustainability of Digital Aging Innovations Through Design Thinking and Systems Thinking Perspectives. ICT for Health, Accessibility and Wellbeing : First International Conference, IHAW 2021, Larnaca, Cyprus, November 8–9, 2021, Revised Selected Papers. Springer. 179-184.
- Ferati, M., Vogel, B., Kurti, A., Raufi, B., Astals, D.S. (2016). Web Accessibility for Visually Impaired People : Requirements and Design Issues. Usability- and Accessibility-Focused Requirements Engineering : First International Workshop, UsARE 2012, Held in Conjunction with ICSE 2012, Zurich, Switzerland, June 4, 2012 and Second International Workshop, UsARE 2014, Held in Conjunction with RE 2014, Karlskrona, Sweden, August 25, 2014, Revised Selected Papers. Cham, Springer. 79-96.