Mexhid Ferati is a Senior Lecturer in Informatics at Linnaeus University. His teaching and research interests are within Human-Computer Interaction, Accessibility, Internet of Things, and VR and drones in education. He has an international experience working as a researcher and lecturer in the United States, Macedonia, and Norway. He worked on projects funded by NSF, Google, and STINT and served as a reviewer for several international conferences and journals. He earned his PhD in Human-Computer Interaction from Indiana University. He serves as a program manager for the Interaction Design program.
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Mijuskovic, A., Ferati, M. (2016). Cloud Storage Privacy and Security User Awareness : a Comparative Analysis between Dutch and Macedonian Users. International Journal of Human Capital and Information Technology Professionals. 7. 1-18.
- Ferati, M., Pfaff, M.S., Mannheimer, S., Bolchini, D. (2012). Audemes at work : Investigating features of non-speech sounds to maximize content recognition. International journal of human-computer studies. 70. 936-966.
- Edwards, R., Stewart, J., Ferati, M. (2010). Assessing Effectiveness the Distributed Pair of Programming Online for an Informatics Curriculum. ACM inroads. 1. 48-54.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Memeti, S., Pllana, S., Ferati, M., Kurti, A., Jusufi, I. (2019). IoTutor : How Cognitive Computing Can Be Applied to Internet of Things Education. . 1-16.
- Urbas, R., Kuscer, A., Ferati, M., Urska, S.E. (2018). Accessibility of Slovenia’s Museums for Blind and Visually Impaired. Proceedings 9th international symposium on graphic engineering and design, GRID 2018. 489-494.
- Giannoumis, G.A., Ferati, M., Pandya, U., Krivonos, D., Pey, T. (2018). Usability of Indoor Network Navigation Solutions for Persons with Visual Impairments. Breaking Down Barriers. CWUAAT 2018. 135-145.
- Dalipi, F., Ferati, M., Kurti, A. (2018). Integrating MOOCs in Regular Higher Education : Challenges and Opportunities from a Scandinavian Perspective. Learning and Collaboration Technologies : Design, Development and Technological Innovation. LCT 2018. 193-204.
- Ferati, M., Babar, A., Carine, K., Hamidi, A., Mörtberg, C. (2018). Participatory Design Approach to Internet of Things : Co-designing a Smart Shower for and with People with Disabilities. Universal Access in Human-Computer Interaction : Virtual, Augmented, and Intelligent Environments. UAHCI 2018. 246-261.
- Beyene, W., Ferati, M. (2017). A Case for Adaptation to Enhance Usability and Accessibility of Library Resource Discovery Tools. Universal Access in Human–Computer Interaction. Design and Development Approaches and Methods. 145-155.
- Ferati, M., Murano, P., Giannoumis, G.A. (2017). Universal Design of User Interfaces in Self-driving Cars. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing. AHFE 2017. 220-228.
- Marcano, L., Yazidi, A., Ferati, M., Komulainen, T. (2017). Towards Effective Automatic Feedback for Simulator Training. Proceedings of the 58th Conference on Simulation and Modelling (SIMS 58)Reykjavik, Iceland, September 25th – 27th, 2017. 203-208.
- Ferati, M., Beyene, W. (2017). Developing Heuristics for Evaluating the Accessibility of Digital Library Interfaces. Universal Access in Human–Computer Interaction. Design and Development Approaches and Methods. 171-181.
- Dalipi, F., Ferati, M., Yayilgan, S.Y. (2017). User Interface Evaluation of a Ski Injuries Management System. Advances in Human Factors in Sports and Outdoor Recreation. 213-222.
- Bahadur Thapa, R., Ferati, M., Giannoumis, G.A. (2017). Using non-speech sounds to increase web image accessibility for screen-reader users. Proceedings of the 35th ACM International Conference on the Design of Communication.
- Ferati, M., Kurti, A., Vogel, B., Raufi, B. (2016). Augmenting requirements gathering for people with special needs using IoT : A position paper. CHASE '16 : Proceedings of the 9th International Workshop on Cooperative and Human Aspects of Software Engineering. 48-51.
- Ferati, M., Sulejmani, L. (2016). Automatic Adaptation Techniques to Increase the Web Accessibility for Blind Users. HCI International 2016 – Posters' Extended Abstracts : 18th International Conference, HCI International 2016 Toronto, Canada, July 17–22, 2016 Proceedings, Part II. 30-36.
- Ferati, M., Mripa, N., Bunjaku, R. (2016). Accessibility of MOOCs for Blind People in Developing Non-English Speaking Countries. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing. 519-528.
- Mijuskovic, A., Ferati, M. (2015). User Awareness of Existing Privacy and Security Risks when Storing Data in the Cloud. Proceedings of International Conference on E-Learning 15. 268-273.
- Raufi, B., Ferati, M., Zenuni, X., Ajdari, J., Ismaili, F. (2015). Methods and Techniques of Adaptive Web Accessibility for the Blind and Visually Impaired. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences : World Conference on Technology, Innovation and Entrepreneurship. 1999-2007.
- Trajkova, M., Ferati, M. (2015). Usability Evaluation of Kinect-based System for Ballet Movements. Design, User Experience, and Usability : Users and Interactions : 4th International Conference, DUXU 2015 Held as Part of HCI International 2015 Los Angeles, CA, USA, August 2–7, 2015 Proceedings, Part II. 464-472.
- Raufi, B., Ismaili, F., Ajdari, J., Ferati, M., Zenuni, X. (2014). Semantic resource adaptation based on generic ontology models. Proceedings of ICSOFT_PT 2014 : 9th International Conference on Software Paradigm Trends. 103-108.
- Ferati, M., Raufi, B., Kurti, A., Vogel, B. (2014). Accessibility Requirements for Blind and Visually Impaired in a Regional Context : An Exploratory Study. 2014 IEEE 2nd International Workshop on Usability and Accessibility focused Requirements Engineering (UsARE). 13-16.
- Ferati, M. (2013). Investigating bookmarking habits of blind users. Proceedings of the 6th Balkan Conference in Informatics. 137-140.
- Rohani Ghahari, R., Ferati, M., Yang, T., Bolchini, D. (2012). Back Navigation Shortcuts for Screen Reader Users. Proceedings of the 14th international ACM SIGACCESS conference on Computers and accessibility, ASSETS'12. 1-8.
- Yang, T., Ferati, M., Liu, Y., Rohani Ghahari, R., Bolchini, D. (2012). Aural Browsing On-The-Go : Listening-based Back Navigation in Large Web Architectures. Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI'12. 277-286.
- Yang, T., Ferati, M., He, L., Bolchini, D. (2012). Navigating by Index and Guided Tour for Fact Finding. Proceedings of the 30th ACM international conference on Design of communication, SIGDOC'12. 181-190.
- Ferati, M., Mannheimer, S., Bolchini, D. (2011). Usability Evaluation of Acoustic Interfaces for the Blind. Proceedings of the 29th ACM international conference on Design of communication, SIGDOC'11. 9-16.
- Mannheimer, S., Ferati, M., Huckleberry, D., Palakal, M. (2009). Using Audemes as a Learning Medium for the Visually Impaired. HEALTHINF 2009. Second International Conference on Health Informatics. 175-180.
- Mannheimer, S., Ferati, M., Bolchini, D., Palakal, M. (2009). Educational Sound Symbols for the Visually Impaired. Universal Access in Human-Computer Interaction : Addressing Diversity : 5th International Conference, UAHCI 2009 Held as Part of HCI International 2009 San Diego, CA, USA, July 19-24, 2009 Proceedings, Part I. 106-115.
- Ferati, M., Bolchini, D., Mannheimer, S. (2009). Towards a Modeling Language for Designing Auditory Interfaces. Universal Access in Human-Computer Interaction : Applications and Services : 5th International Conference, UAHCI 2009 Held as Part of HCI International 2009 San Diego, CA, USA, July 19-24, 2009 Proceedings, Part III. 502-511.
- Ferati, M., Mannheimer, S., Bolchini, D. (2009). Acoustic Interaction Design through “Audemes” : Experiences with the Blind. Proceedings of the 27th ACM international conference on Design of communication. 23-28.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Ferati, M., Vogel, B., Kurti, A., Raufi, B., Astals, D.S. (2016). Web Accessibility for Visually Impaired People : Requirements and Design Issues. Usability- and Accessibility-Focused Requirements Engineering : First International Workshop, UsARE 2012, Held in Conjunction with ICSE 2012, Zurich, Switzerland, June 4, 2012 and Second International Workshop, UsARE 2014, Held in Conjunction with RE 2014, Karlskrona, Sweden, August 25, 2014, Revised Selected Papers. Cham, Springer. 79-96.