Nico is a doctoral student in Computer and Information Science at Linnaeus University (LNU) in Växjö, Sweden. His doctoral project is concerned with the support of synchronous asymmetric data exploration using Virtual Reality within the context of Collaborative Immersive Analytics, which he researches in the VRxAR Labs research group. He is also associated with the ISOVIS research group. His research interests focus on Human-Computer Interaction in general, and the interaction with immersive technologies for purposes such as data exploration and collaboration in particular. He also enjoys creating accessible workshops to promote the creative use of technology.
Prior to entering his doctoral studies, he worked as a research assistant at the Department of Media Technology at LNU, where he also completed his master degree in Social Media and Web Technologies (M.Sc.). Since then he is regularly involved in various teaching and supervision activities. Before moving to Sweden, he studied International Media and Computing (B.Sc.) at Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft (HTW) Berlin in Germany.
My research groups and projects
VRxAR Labs The VRxAR Labs research group is exploring interface design for Mixed Reality environments, such as Virtual and Augmented Reality.
Project: Open Data Exploration in Virtual Reality (ODxVR) The purpose of the ODxVR project is to propose novel interface design approaches that enable interactive visualization of Open Data (OD)…
Project: Augmented Reality for Public Engagement (PEAR) The purpose of the PEAR project is to investigate the possibilities of using Augmented Reality technologies to increase public engagement. In…
Doctoral project: Supporting Synchronous Asymmetric Data Exploration using Virtual Reality within the context of Collaborative Immersive Analytics Immersive technologies, such as virtual reality,…
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Reski, N., Alissandrakis, A. (2020). Open data exploration in virtual reality : a comparative study of input technology. Virtual Reality. 24 (1). 1-22.
- Alissandrakis, A., Reski, N., Laitinen, M., Tyrkkö, J., Lundberg, J., et al. (2019). Visualizing rich corpus data using virtual reality. Studies in Variation, Contacts and Change in English. 20.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Reski, N., Alissandrakis, A., Tyrkkö, J., Kerren, A. (2020). "Oh, that's where you are!" : Towards a Hybrid Asymmetric Collaborative Immersive Analytics System. NordiCHI '20: Proceedings of the 11th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction: Shaping Experiences, Shaping Society, Tallinn, Estonia, October 25-29, 2020.. 1-12.
- Reski, N., Alissandrakis, A., Kerren, A. (2020). Exploration of Time-Oriented Data in Immersive Virtual Reality Using a 3D Radar Chart Approach. NordiCHI '20: Proceedings of the 11th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction: Shaping Experiences, Shaping Society, Tallinn, Estonia, October 25-29, 2020.. 1-11.
- Reski, N., Alissandrakis, A. (2018). Using an Augmented Reality Cube-like Interface and 3D Gesture-based Interaction to Navigate and Manipulate Data. VINCI '18 Proceedings of the 11th International Symposium on Visual Information Communication and Interaction. 92-96.
- Alissandrakis, A., Reski, N., Laitinen, M., Tyrkkö, J., Levin, M., et al. (2018). Visualizing dynamic text corpora using Virtual Reality. ICAME 39 : Tampere, 30 May – 3 June, 2018 : Corpus Linguistics and Changing Society : Book of Abstracts. 205-205.
- Alissandrakis, A., Reski, N. (2017). Using Mobile Augmented Reality to Facilitate Public Engagement. Extended Papers of the International Symposium on Digital Humanities (DH 2016). 99-109.
- Yousefi, S., Kidane, M., Delgado, Y., Chana, J., Reski, N. (2016). 3D Gesture-Based Interaction for Immersive Experience in Mobile VR. 2016 23rd International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR)Cancún Center, Cancún, México, December 4-8, 2016. 2122-2127.
- Reski, N., Alissandrakis, A. (2016). Change Your Perspective : Exploration of a 3D Network Created from Open Data in an Immersive Virtual Reality Environment. ACHI 2016 : The Ninth International Conference on Advances in Computer-Human Interactions. 403-410.
- Reski, N., Nordmark, S., Milrad, M. (2014). Exploring New Interaction Mechanisms to Support Information Sharing and Collaboration Using Large Multi-touch Displays in the Context of Digital Storytelling. Proceedings of the 14th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies IEEE - ICALT2014. 176-180.
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Reski, N., Alissandrakis, A., Tyrkkö, J. (2019). Collaborative exploration of rich corpus data using immersive virtual reality and non-immersive technologies. ADDA : Approaches to Digital Discourse Analysis – ADDA 2, Turku, Finland 23-25 May 2019 ; Book of abstracts. 7-7.