Hej, I am Nico. I am a doctoral student in Computer and Information Science at Linnaeus University (LNU), Växjö, Sweden, where I also worked as a research assistant in the Department of Media Technology and completed my master degree in Social Media and Web Technologies. My doctoral studies are focused around interaction and interface design in smart environments such as virtual and augmented reality, which I am researching on in the VRxAR Labs research group. Prior to joining LNU and moving to Sweden I studied "International Media and Computing" (B.Sc.) at University of Applied Sciences HTW Berlin in Germany.
I am involved in various teaching and supervision activities as well as hosting a semi-regular media technology meet-up called Open Lab Hours in the interaction lab in the department. I am also developing a creative coding workshop series around tools such as openFrameworks, Processing, p5.js, and Unity3D. Besides virtual and augmented reality, I am particularly interested human-computer interaction, natural and tangible user interfaces, the Internet of Things as well as mobile application development.
My research groups and projects
VRxAR Labs The VRxAR Labs research group is exploring interface design for Mixed Reality environments, such as Virtual and Augmented Reality.
Project: Open Data Exploration in Virtual Reality (ODxVR) The purpose of the ODxVR project is to propose novel interface design approaches that enable interactive visualization of Open Data (OD)…
Project: Augmented Reality for Public Engagement (PEAR) The purpose of the PEAR project is to investigate the possibilities of using Augmented Reality technologies to increase public engagement. In…
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Alissandrakis, A., Reski, N., Laitinen, M., Tyrkkö, J., Lundberg, J., et al. (2019). Visualizing rich corpus data using virtual reality. Studies in Variation, Contacts and Change in English. 20.
- Reski, N., Alissandrakis, A. (2019). Open data exploration in virtual reality : a comparative study of input technology. Virtual Reality.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Alissandrakis, A., Reski, N., Laitinen, M., Tyrkkö, J., Levin, M., et al. (2018). Visualizing dynamic text corpora using Virtual Reality. ICAME 39 : Tampere, 30 May – 3 June, 2018 : Corpus Linguistics and Changing Society : Book of Abstracts. 205-205.
- Reski, N., Alissandrakis, A. (2018). Using an Augmented Reality Cube-like Interface and 3D Gesture-based Interaction to Navigate and Manipulate Data. VINCI '18 Proceedings of the 11th International Symposium on Visual Information Communication and Interaction. 92-96.
- Alissandrakis, A., Reski, N. (2017). Using Mobile Augmented Reality to Facilitate Public Engagement. Extended Papers of the International Symposium on Digital Humanities (DH 2016). 99-109.
- Reski, N., Alissandrakis, A. (2016). Change Your Perspective : Exploration of a 3D Network Created from Open Data in an Immersive Virtual Reality Environment. ACHI 2016 : The Ninth International Conference on Advances in Computer-Human Interactions. 403-410.
- Yousefi, S., Kidane, M., Delgado, Y., Chana, J., Reski, N. (2016). 3D Gesture-Based Interaction for Immersive Experience in Mobile VR. 2016 23rd International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR)Cancún Center, Cancún, México, December 4-8, 2016. 2122-2127.
- Reski, N., Nordmark, S., Milrad, M. (2014). Exploring New Interaction Mechanisms to Support Information Sharing and Collaboration Using Large Multi-touch Displays in the Context of Digital Storytelling. Proceedings of the 14th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies IEEE - ICALT2014. 176-180.
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Reski, N., Alissandrakis, A., Tyrkkö, J. (2019). Collaborative exploration of rich corpus data using immersive virtual reality and non-immersive technologies. ADDA : Approaches to Digital Discourse Analysis – ADDA 2, Turku, Finland 23-25 May 2019 ; Book of abstracts. 7-7.