Per Lindström, born February 12, 1967 in Solna, Sweden. On September 15, 2015 he defended his doctoral thesis "Improved CWM platform for modeling welding procedures and their effects on structural behavior" in the field of Computational Welding Mechanics (CWM) at University West in Trollhättan, Sweden. He is graduated from Chalmers University of Technology Gothenburg, Sweden with a Licentiate of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering (2005), a Master of Science in Marine Engineering (2001) and a Diploma of Commercial Management & Organization in Nautical Science (1999); and from the Kalmar Maritime Academy, Sweden with a Bachelor of Science in Marine Engineering (1991); and he has an International Welding Engineer certificate from IIW (2001). During 1989 – 1996 he served as Engineer Officer in the Swedish Merchant Navy and the two last years as Chief Engineer on M/S Humber Arm. From 1996 - Present he has concentrated his professional career on specialty welding operations for the sake of Fatigue and Fracture Avoidance (FFA) as well as Fitness For Service (FFS) in the field of ship and offshore structures, nuclear reactors, power- and recovery boilers, pressure vessels as well as pressurized pipe- and tube systems at the following organizations: Lloyd's Register, Transatlantic, Kvaerner Power, Westinghouse Electric, PL Engineering, DNV GL. His last industrial assignment was: Chief Specialist - Advanced Calculations and Simulation at COWI AB Industrial Division in Gothenburg, Sweden.
Marine Technology with emphasis on Marine Engineering, Operation and Maintenance
Fatigue and Fracture Avoidance (FFA) as well as Fitness For Service (FFS) in the field of Marine Technology which is an integrated part of Kalmar Maritime Academy's Maritime Science research activities.
Since 2006 the Swedish delegate in the "Working unit C X", Structural performances of welded joint - Fracture avoidance at the International Institute of Welding (IIW).
Also since 2006 elected committee member to the International Ship and Offshore Structures Congress (ISSC); current mandate 2015 – 2018 (ISSC-2018) in the Committee III.2 - Fatigue and Fracture.
My research groups and projects
Mechanical Engineering The research in the field of mechanical engineering is broad and has its main focus in six areas: structural dynamics, material science, industrial economics, terotechnology,…
Project: Fitness For Service – Metallic Structures This project's main aim is to increase the general understanding of how the commercial operational life time of a metallic structure can be affected,…
Project: FEA of residual stresses in welded structures In this project, a versatile Eulerian plasticity is implemented and applied to the prediction of residual stresses in welded structures.
Project: Radioactivity – NORM contamination of LNG fuel systems In this project, we study if liquefied natural gas (LNG) fuel systems are contaminated by natural occurring radioactive material (NORM).…
Doctoral project: Seaworthiness assessment of WAAM manufactured marine propellers In this project, we study the general question: How can the seaworthiness of a marine structure and/or component be…
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Lindström, P. (2009). Heat Transfer Prediction of In-Service Welding in a Forced Flow of Fluid. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering-Transactions of The Asme. 131. 1-6.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Lindström, P., Faraji, M. (2004). Review and Selection of a Finite Element Simulation Platform For Academic and Industrial Analyses of In-Service Welding Operations. Proceedings of OMAE’04 23rd International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, June 20-25, 2004, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. 801-806.
- Lindström, P., Ulfvarson, A. (2003). An Experimental Rig For Verification of The Mechanical Properties of Welds Produced at In-Service Welding. Proceedings of OMAE’03 22nd International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, June 8 – 13, 2003, Cancun, Mexico. 57-65.
- Lindström, P., Ulfvarson, A. (2002). Weld Repair of Shell Plates During Seagoing Operations. Proceedings of OMAE02; 21st International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Artic Engineering : June 23-28, 2002, Oslo, Norway. 499-506.
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Lindström, P., Jonsson, A., Jernberg, A., Östby, E. (2015). Non-linear fracture mechanics in LS-DYNA and LS-PrePost. European LS-DYNA Conference 2015 : Conference Papers.
- Lindström, P., de Blanche, A. (2013). Integration and Optimization of a 64-core HPC for FEM- and/or CFD Welding Simulations. NAFEMS NORDIC Seminar : Improving SimulationPrediction by Using Advanced Material Models.
- Lindström, P., Josefson, L., Schill, M., Borrvall, M. (2012). Constitutive Modelling and Finite Element Simulation of Multi Pass Girth Welds. NAFEMS NORDIC Conference: Engineering Simulation : Best Practices, New Developments, Future Trends.
Chapter in book (Other academic)
- Lindström, P., Caprace, J., Mishra, B., Pires, F., Roland, F., et al. (2015). Materials and Fabrication Technology : Committee v.3. Proceedings of the 19th International Ship and Offshore Structures Congress, Volume 2 : Committee v.3 Materials and Fabrication Technology. EH Leiden, Nederlands, CRC Press. 619-698.
- Lindström, P. (2012). Arctic Technology : Report of Committe V.6. Proceedings of the 18th International Ship and Offshore Structures Congress, Volume 2: Report of Committe V.6 - Arctic Technology. Hamburg, Schiffbautechnische Gesellschaft. 243-274.
- Soares, C.G., Basu, R., Cerup Simonsen, B., Egorov, G.V., Hung, C.F., et al. (2009). Damage Assessment After Accidental Events : Report of Committee V.1. Proceedings of the 17th International Ship and Offshore Structures Congress : Volume 2. Seoul, Korea, Seoul National University. 1-72.
Doctoral thesis, monograph (Other academic)
- Lindström, P. (2015). Improved CWM platform for modelling welding procedures and their effects on structural behaviour. Doctoral Thesis. Trollhättan, University West. 202.
Report (Other academic)
- Lindström, P. (2013). DNV Platform of Computational Welding Mechanics. Hövik, Norge, Det Norske Veritas AS. 50.
- Lindström, P., Josefson, L. (2012). 2D, Axisymmetric and 3D Finite Element Analysis Assessment of the IIW RSDP Round Robin Initiative, Phase 1 and Phase 2. Denver, Colorado, USA, International Institute of Welding. 23.
- Josefson, L., Lindström, P., Molin, M. (2010). 2D and 3D Simulation of the IIW Round Robin Benchmark. Istanbul, Turkey, International Institute of Welding. 29.
Licentiate thesis, comprehensive summary (Other academic)
- Lindström, P. (2005). Heat Transfer Prediction of In Service Welding in a Forced Flow of Fluid. Licentiate Thesis. Gothenburg, Chalmers Univeristy of Technology, Department of Shipping and Marine Technology. 27.