Teaching experience in Biomedicine, Medicine, Pharmacy and Optometry Degree Programs.
Research experiences in areas of Neuro-immuno-pharmacology, Nutrition Gut Brain Interactions, Neuropsychiatric Disorders and Urinary Tract Infections by using human cells as In-vitro models.
Research Specialties: Culturing cells from biopsies, functional characterisation of transport properties of various test substances and analysis of kinetic parameters of different test substances and evaluating the the role of immune responses and oxidative stress in the pathophysiology of neuropsychiatric disorders.
Course coordination and Teaching Pharmacology, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Physiology for Pharmacy and Optometry Degree Programs.
My research interests are in the fields of Neuroimmunopharmacology and Nutrition Gut Brain Interactions by using the human cells as in-vitro models.
- To explore the role and regulatory pathways of proinflammatory and oxidative stress responses those are found to be elevated in many neuropsychiatric and neurological disorders in order to identify biomarkers and new treatment strategies.
- To investigate the therapeutic potential of various test substances (short chain fatty acids, antioxidants, nutrients etc.) to counteract the influence of proinflammatory and oxidative stress responses and on the functioning of membrane bound transporters.
- Functional characterization of membrane transport properties of various molecules of interest by using the human cell models.
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Pernow, Y., Shahror, R., Acharya, S., Jahnson, L., Vumma, R., et al. (2018). Aberrant tryptophan transport in cultured fibroblast from patients with Male Idiopathic Osteoporosis : an in vitro study. Bone Reports. 8. 25-28.
- Vumma, R., Johansson, J., Venizelos, N. (2017). Proinflammatory cytokines and oxidative stress decrease the transport of dopamine precursor tyrosine in human fibroblasts. Neuropsychobiology. 75. 178-184.
- Vumma, R., Bang, C.S., Kruse, R., Johansson, K., Persson, K. (2016). Antibacterial effects of nitric oxide on uropathogenic Escherichia coli during bladder epithelial cell colonization : a comparison with nitrofurantoin. Journal of antibiotics (Tokyo. 1968). 69. 183-186.
- Comasco, E., Vumma, R., Toffoletto, S., Johansson, J., Flyckt, L., et al. (2016). Genetic and Functional Study of L-Type Amino Acid Transporter 1 in Schizophrenia.. Neuropsychobiology. 74. 96-103.
- Demirel, I., Vumma, R., Mohlin, C., Svensson, L., Säve, S., et al. (2012). Nitric Oxide Activates IL-6 Production and Expression in Human Renal Epithelial Cells. American Journal of Nephrology. 36. 524-530.
- Vumma, R., Johansson, J., Lewander, T., Venizelos, N. (2011). Tryptophan transport in human fibroblast cells-a functional characterization.. International Journal of Tryptophan Research. 4. 19-27.
- Säve, S., Mohlin, C., Vumma, R., Persson, K. (2011). Activation of Adenosine A(2A) Receptors Inhibits Neutrophil Transuroepithelial Migration. Infection and Immunity. 79. 3431-3437.
- Johansson, J., Landgren, M., Fernell, E., Vumma, R., Åhlin, A., et al. (2011). Altered tryptophan and alanine transport in fibroblasts from boys with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) : an in vitro study. Behavioral and Brain Functions. 7.
- Persson, M., Johansson, J., Vumma, R., Raita, J., Bjerkenstedt, L., et al. (2009). Aberrant amino acid transport in fibroblasts from patients with bipolar disorder. Neuroscience Letters. 457. 49-52.
- Vumma, R., Wiesel, F., Flyckt, L., Bjerkenstedt, L., Venizelos, N. (2008). Functional characterization of tyrosine transport in fibroblast cells from healthy controls. Neuroscience Letters. 434. 56-60.
Article in journal (Other academic)
- Wall, R., Marques, T., Edebol-Carlman, H., Sundin, J., Vumma, R., et al. (2017). Altered expression of membrane transporters in colonic mucosa of patients with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and Post-infectious (PI)-IBS compared to healthy subjects. Neurogastroenterology and Motility. 29. 107-108.