Reza Hosseinpourpia is a Senior Lecturer at the Department of Forestry and Wood Technology of Linnaeus University in Sweden. He holds a Dr. rer. nat. degree (Doctor of Natural Sciences) in wood biology and wood technology from the Georg-August-University Göttingen, Germany.
Reza’s research interests:
- Thermal and chemical modification of wood
- Water sorption and thermal behaviors of natural polymers
- Bio-based adhesive systems
- Wood composites
My research groups and projects
Forestry and Wood In the Forestry and Wood field of research we are engaged in the entire chain, from forest to finished product, and with the development of new wood products for construction and…
Project: From native wheat starch towards innovative adhesives for wood panels The project aims at exploring fundamentals related to the modification of wheat starch from Lantmännen operations, and…
Project: QualityWBPs – Innovative treatments and adhesives for high quality, sustainable wood-based panels This project aims to develop less hygroscopic wood-based panels through the application of…
Project: Thermo-Reversible Starch-based Adhesives for Wood Panels (Tresa) The Tresa project pursues a novel approach to develop reversible, bio-based starch adhesive systems for applications in wood…
Project: Agro-industry feedstocks and side streams for increasing the sustainability of wood panel production The project aims at exploring the possibilities offered by the various agroindustrial…
Project: Environmental friendly wood composites with bio-based additives This project explored the potential of using renewable materials from pulping biorefeniries as water-repellent additives for…
Project: Renewable hydrophobing agents for fibreboards based on tall oil The project aims at preparing and testing 100 % renewable formulations that are based on tall oil for effective…
Project: Formaldehyde emissions from wood composites bonded with bio-based adhesives Formaldehyde based adhesives dominate the market and are used almost exclusively for wood panel production. The use…
Project: Application of new biorefinery lignin-based adhesives in the wood panel industry The project envisages a mobility of professor Stergios Adamopoulos (20 % work time) from Linnaeus University…
Project: Tall-oil based hydrophobing formulations for industrial fibreboards The aim of this project is to develop, validate and demonstrate water repellent formulations for industrial fibreboards…
Project: Novel starch-based adhesive systems to enable recycling of fibreboards This project aims to develop and validate starch-based adhesives for recyclable fibreboards, both at the laboratory at…
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Taghiyari, H.R., Esmailpour, A., Adamopoulos, S., Zereshki, K., Hosseinpourpia, R. (2020). Shearn strenght of heat-treated solid wood bonded with polyvinyl-acetate reinforced by nanowollastonite. Wood research. 65. 183-194.
- Jiang, W., Adamopoulos, S., Hosseinpourpia, R., Žigon, J., Petrič, M., et al. (2020). Utilization of Partially Liquefied Bark for Production of Particleboards. Applied Sciences. 10.
- Kumar, A., Ryparová, P., Hosseinpourpia, R., Adamopoulos, S., Prošek, Z., et al. (2019). Hydrophobicity and resistance against microorganisms of heat and chemically crosslinked poly(vinyl alcohol) nanofibrous membranes. Chemical Engineering Journal. 360. 788-796.
- Hosseinpourpia, R., Adamopoulos, S., Parsland, C. (2019). Utilization of different tall oils for improving the water resistance of cellulosic fibers. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 136.
- Hemmilä, V., Adamopoulos, S., Hosseinpourpia, R., Ahmed, S.A. (2019). Ammonium Lignosulfonate Adhesives for Particleboards with pMDI and Furfuryl Alcohol as Crosslinkers. Polymers. 11. 1-17.
- Hemmilä, V., Hosseinpourpia, R., Adamopoulos, S., Eceiza, A. (2019). Characterization of Wood-based Industrial Biorefinery Lignosulfonates and Supercritical Water Hydrolysis Lignin. Waste and Biomass Valorization. 1-11.
- Hosseinpourpia, R., Adamopoulos, S., Mai, C., Taghiyari, H.R. (2019). Properties of medium-density fibreboards bonded with dextrin-based wood adhesive. Wood research. 64. 185-194.
- Altgen, M., Willems, W., Hosseinpourpia, R., Rautkari, L. (2018). Hydroxyl accessibility and dimensional changes of Scots pine sapwood affected by alterations in the cell wall ultrastructure during heattreatment. Polymer degradation and stability. 152. 244-252.
- Hosseinpourpia, R., Echart, A.S., Adamopoulos, S., Gabilondo, N., Eceiza, A. (2018). Modification of Pea Starch and Dextrin Polymers with Isocyanate Functional Groups. Polymers. 10.
- Hosseinpourpia, R., Adamopoulos, S., Mai, C. (2018). Effects of acid pre-treatments on the swelling and vapor sorption of thermally modified Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) wood. BioResources. 13. 331-345.
- Cristina, S., Francisco, G., Luis, G., Paloma, D., Hosseinpourpia, R., et al. (2017). Comparison of the saturated salt and dynamic vapor sorption methods in obtaining the sorption properties of Pinus pinea L.. European Journal of Wood and Wood Products. 75. 919-926.
- Hosseinpourpia, R., Adamopoulos, S., Holstein, N., Mai, C. (2017). Dynamic vapour sorption and water-related properties of thermally modified Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) wood pre-treated with proton acid. Polymer degradation and stability. 138. 161-168.
- Taghiyari, H.R., Elyasi, A., Doost-Hoseini, K., Hosseinpourpia, R. (2017). Correlation between gas and liquid permeability with noise reduction coefficient in insulation boards made from sugar cane bagasse. Bulgarian Journal of Agricultural Science. 23. 674-681.
- Hosseinpourpia, R., Mai, C. (2016). Mode of action of brown rot decay resistance of acetylated wood : resistance to Fenton’s reagent. Wood Science and Technology. 50. 413-426.
- Soltani, A., Hosseinpourpia, R., Adamopoulos, S., Taghiyari, H.R., Ghaffari, E. (2016). Effects of heat-treatment and nano-wollastonite impregnation on fire properties of solid wood. BioResources. 11. 8953-8967.
- Hosseinpourpia, R., Adamopoulos, S., Mai, C. (2016). Dynamic vapour sorption of wood and holocellulose modified with thermosetting resins. Wood Science and Technology. 50. 165-178.
- Hosseinpourpia, R., Mai, C. (2016). Mode of action of brown rot decay resistance in phenol-formaldehyde-modified wood : resistance to Fenton’s reagent. Holzforschung. 70. 253-259.
- Hosseinpourpia, R., Mai, C. (2016). Mode of action of brown rot decay resistance of thermally modified wood : resistance to Fenton’s reagent. Holzforschung. 70. 691-697.
- Esteban, L.G., Simón, C., Fernández, F.G., Palacios, P.D., Martín-Sampedro, R., et al. (2015). Juvenile and mature wood of Abies pinsapoBoissie : sorption and thermodynamic properties. Wood Science and Technology. 49. 725-738.
- Adamopoulos, S., Hosseinpourpia, R., Mai, C. (2015). Tensile strength of handsheets prepared with macerated fibres from solid wood modified with cross-linking agents. Holzforschung. 69. 959-966.
- Hosseinpourpia, R., Adamopoulos, S., Mai, C. (2015). Tensile strength of handsheets from recovered fibers treated with N-methylol melamine and 1,3-dimethylol-4,5-dihydroxyethyleneurea. Journal of Applied Polymer Science. 132.
- Hosseini, P., Hosseinpourpia, R., Pajum, A., Khodavirdi, M.M., Izadi, H., et al. (2014). Effect of nano-particles and aminosilane interaction on the performances of cement-based composites : An experimental study. Construction and Building Materials. 66. 113-124.
- Hosseinpourpia, R., Hosseini, P., Mofidian, S., Hosseinpourpia, R., Varshoee, A. (2014). Influence of Nanosilica on Properties of Green Cementitious Composites Filled with Waste Sulfite Pulp Fiber and Aminosilane. The Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering. 39. 2631-2640.
- Danesh, M.A., Ziaei Tabari, H., Hosseinpourpia, R., Nazarnezhad, N., Shams, M. (2012). Investigation of the morphological and thermal properties of waste newsprint/recycled polypropylene/nanoclay composite. BioResources. 7. 936-945.
- Hosseinpourpia, R., Varshoee, A., Soltani, M., Hosseini, P., Ziaei Tabari, H. (2012). Production of waste bio-fiber cement-based composites reinforced with nano-SiO2 particles as a substitute for asbestos cement composites. Construction and Building Materials. 31. 105-111.
- Varshoee, A., Hosseinpourpia, R., Soltani, M., Talaeipoor, M. (2011). The Effect of Coupling Agent on Water Absorption Property of Natural Fiber-Cement Nanocomposites. Iranian Journal of Sciences and Techniques in Natural Resources. 6. 127-137.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Hosseinpourpia, R., Adamopoulos, S., Eceiza, A. (2019). Thermal stability and water vapor sorption of wheat starch modified with isocyanate functional groups. 7th International Conference on Biobased and Biodegradable Polymers (BIOPOL), 17-19th June 2019, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Hosseinpourpia, R., Adamopoulos, S., Mai, C. (2018). Analysis of the vapour sorption behaviour of wood modified with thermosetting resins with Hailwood-Horrobin and Excess Surface Work models. 29th International Conference on Wood Science and Technology, ICWST 2018: Implementation of Wood Science in Woodworking Sector - Proceedings. 87-92.
- Taghiyari, H.R., Hosseinpourpia, R., Adamopoulos, S., Jahangiri, A., Rabie, D. (2017). Effects of Nano-Wollastonite Impregnation on Fire Properties of Some Thermally-Treated Solid Wood Species. Proceedings IRG Annual Meeting, IRG/WP 17-40771.
- Hosseinpourpia, R., Adamopoulos, S., Mai, C., Hemmilä, V. (2017). Effect of Bio-Based Additives on Physico-Mechanical Properties of Medium Density Fibreboards. 28th ICWST, International Conference on Wood Science and Technology : Implementation of Wood Science in Woodworking Sector, Proceedings. Zagreb, 7th - 8th of December 2017. 153-158.
- Hosseinpourpia, R., Adamopoulos, S., Mai, C. (2017). Effect of lignin and hemicelluloses removal on dynamic water vapour sorption behavior of wood. IUFRO Division 5 Conference, 12-14 June, 2017 - Vancouver, British Columbia : Final program, proceedings and abstracts.
- Balea, A., Blanco, A., Fuente, H., Concepción, M., Negro, C., et al. (2015). Morphology, properties and recyclability of modified fibres and papers with different chemicals at laboratory and pilot plant trials. 46th Congresso Annuale Aticelca, May 28-29, Sestri Levante-Genova, Italy. 23-31.
- Hosseinpourpia, R., Adamopoulos, S., Mai, C. (2015). Dynamic water vapour sorption properties and dimensional stability of thermally and acid-treated Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.). 69th Forest Products Society (FPS) International Convention, June 10-12, Atlanta, GA.
- Hosseinpourpia, R., Mai, C. (2015). Dynamic water vapour sorption properties of wood cell wall polymer constituents. COST FP1303 (Performance of bio-based building materials). 42-44.
- Reshadi Nejad, H., Hosseinpourpia, R., Arash, P. (2012). Interaction of aminopropyltri-ethoxysilane and amorphous nano-SiO2 particles in the matrix of cement-based materials. 3rd Advances in Cement‐based Materials : Characterization, Processing, Modeling and Sensing Austin, TX, June 10‐12, 2012. 112-117.
- Ziaei Tabari, H., Nourbakhsh, A., Hosseinpourpia, R., Danesh, M.A. (2010). Evaluation of mechanical and morphological behavior of polypropylene/wood fiber nanocomposite prepared by melts compounding. International Conference on Nanotechnology and Biosensors, 28th to 30th December 2010, Hong Kong. 20-23.
- Hosseinpourpia, R., Varshoee, A., Soltani, M., Hosseini, P. (2010). Effects of sulfite waste fibers incorporating silica nano-particles on mechanical and microstructural properties of cementitious composite. 2nd International Conference on Composites: Characterization, Fabrication and Application. 431-436.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Taghiyari, H.R., Tajvidi, M., Taghiyari, R., Mantanis, G., Esmailpour, A., et al. (2020). Nanotechnology for wood quality improvement and protection. Nanomaterials for Agriculture and Forestry Applications : Micro and Nano Technologies. Elsevier. 469-489.