Richard has wide international academic experience, having taught and researched in universities in Finland, USA, Australia and Ghana.
Richard teaches business-to-business and international marketing courses at Bachelor's and Master's levels. He advises PhD students and has also taught in Executive MBA programmes.
Richard's research interests are within business-to-business marketing and international marketing strategy particularly in emerging markets. He has published research articles on, among others, entry modes and market development strategies in Africa, international project business, and corporate social responsibility in international supply chains in well-ranked international research journals.
Richard is a member of the Editorial Review Boards of two international research journals and regularly reviews papers for several other international journals.
Richard has worked on corporate consulting projects, including a business network strategy analysis for KONE Corporation and, in 2010-2011, as a Consultant for Omega Strategic Resources Ltd, which contributed to Ghana's National Export Strategy for 2011-2015.
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Dadzie, S.A., Owusu, R.A., Amoako, K., Aklamanu, A. (2018). Do strategic motives affect ownership mode of Foreign Direct Investments (FDIs) in emerging African markets? : evidence from Ghana. Thunderbird International Business Review. 60. 279-294.
- Oguji, N., Owusu, R.A. (2017). Acquisitions entry strategies in Africa : the role of institutions, target-specific experience, and host-country capabilities - The case acquisitions of Finnish multinationals in Africa. Thunderbird International Business Review. 59. 209-225.
- Owusu, R.A., Mutshinda, C.M., Antai, I., Dadzie, K.Q., Winston, E.M. (2016). Which UGC features drive web purchase intent? : A spike-and-slab Bayesian Variable Selection Approach. Internet Research. 26. 22-37.
- Owusu, R.A., Vaaland, T.I. (2016). A business network perspective on local content in emerging African petroleum nations. International Journal of Energy Sector Management. 10. 594-616.
- Dadzie, S.A., Owusu, R.A. (2015). Understanding establishment mode choice of foreign manufacturing firms in Ghana. International Journal of Emerging Markets. 10. 896-920.
- Antai, I., Mutshinda, C., Owusu, R.A. (2015). A 3-R principle for characterizing failure in relief supply chains’response to natural disasters. Journal of Humanitarian Logistics and Supply Chain Management. 5. 234-252.
- Nnamdi, O., Owusu, R.A. (2014). Africa as a source location : literature review and implications. International Journal of Emerging Markets. 9. 424-438.
- Kauppinen-Raisänen, H., Owusu, R.A., Abeeku-Bamfo, B. (2012). Brand salience of OTC pharmaceuticals through package appearance. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Marketing. 6. 230-249.
- Owusu, R.A., Vaaland, T. (2012). What is a responsible supply chain?. International Journal of Business and Management. 7. 154-171.
- Vaaland, T.I., Soneye, A.S., Owusu, R.A. (2012). Local content and struggling suppliers : a network analysis of Nigerian oil and gas industry. African Journal of Business Management. 6. 5399-5413.
- Owusu, R.A., Habiyakare, E. (2011). Managing risk and turbulence in internationalization of foreign companies to South Africa : Lessons from seven Finnish business-to-business firms. Journal of African Business. 12. 219-239.
- Owusu, R.A., Sandhu, M., Kock, S. (2007). Project business : a distinct mode of internationalization. International Marketing Review. 24. 695-714.
- Owusu, R.A., Welch, C. (2007). The buying network in international project business : a comparative case study of development projects. Industrial Marketing Management. 36. 147-157.
- Owusu, R.A. (2002). Project marketing to Africa : lessons from the case of IVO Transmission Engineering and Ghana’s national electrification scheme. The journal of business & industrial marketing. 17. 523-537.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Owusu, R.A., Vaaland, T.I. (2016). Achieving local content in extractive industries of African countries. Economic and Social Development : Book of Proceedings. 74-82.
- Owusu, R.A., Oghazi, P., Mostaghel, R., Welch, C. (2015). Activities and resources of institutional actors in international development projects. Ideas in Marketing : Finding the New and Polishing the Old. 386-386.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Mbare, O., Owusu, R.A., Habiyakare, E. (2011). Implementing Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) in Africa : a conceptualisation and propositions. Leadership & management studies in Sub-Sahara Africa : volume II and III. San Diego, University Readers. 192-203.
- Ramburuth, P., Buatsi, P.N., Owusu, R.A. (2010). The Chinese Dragon Engages Africa. Thirty Years of China's Economic Reform : Institutions, Management Organizations and Foreign Investment. New York, Nova Science Publishers, Inc.. 155-167.
- Owusu, R.A., Habiyakare, E. (2007). African Regional Cooperation and Growth Triangle Strategies. Leadership and Management Studies in Sub-Sahara Africa : Volume 1. San Diego, University Readers. 114-122.