My research interests lie in political discourse and political communication. I am particularly interested in conceptual and multimodal aspects of nationalist, far-right and fascist communication.
I have been teaching on the first level courses "1EN100 English, general course" and "1EN110 English: language, culture and society", as well as on the distance course "1EN118 English, general course".
My PhD project is concerned with the 2014 Scottish independence referendum, more precisely how the idea of independence was conveyed to the Scottish electorate. I draw on theories and methodologies developed in discourse studies and political theory and study a wide array of materials, e.g. white papers, social media, campaign posters and interview data. The working title of the project is "Nothing but Heather? The 2014 Scottish independence referendum in text, image and thought".
I am also involved in a project that studies the role of gender equality in the ideology of the Sweden Democrats.
I am an Associate Editor of Public Journal of Semiotics (PJOS).
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Engström, R., Paradis, C. (2015). The In-group and Out-groups of the British National Party and the UK Independence Party : A Corpus-Based Discourse-Historical Analysis. Journal of Language and Politics. 14. 501-527.
- Engström, R. (2014). The Online Visual Group Formation of the Far Right : A Cognitive-Historical Case Study of the British National Party. The public journal of semiotics. 6. 1-21.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Engström, R., Ekman, L. (2015). The Many Feminist Voices of the Radical Right : An actor-oriented study of the Sweden Democrats’ conception of equality. The 9th Nordic Conference on Language and Gender.
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Engström, R. (2014). The Scottish National Party and the Successful Small States : A Cognitive Linguistic investigation of national references in the SNP white paper. .
- Engström, R. (2014). Applying Cognitive Linguistics to Political Text and Images : The case of the far-right British National Party. Book of Abstracts : The First Conference of the International Association for Cognitive Semiotics (IACS-2014) September 25-27, 2014 Lund University. 83-84.
Article, book review (Other academic)
- Engström, R. (2016). Speaking of Europe : Approaches to Complexity in European Political Discourse. Discourse & Communication. 10. 431-433.