I am involved in courses in language acquisition and literacy within the primary teacher education, supervise and assess student theses within the secondary and upper secondary teacher education as well as teach rhetoric. In spring term I visit teacher candidates during their work placement and assess their performance. I also teach a course in technical communication that is given in Swedish and English at the Faculty of technology.
My research interests include critical perspectives in teaching and learning languages and other subjects from primary school through upper secondary school. I have done research in reading in foreign languages at tertiary level as well as in comparative education across different national educational contexts with a special focus on criticality practices.
I am a member of the Board for the research center Educational Linguistics in my capacity as research secretary. I am responsible for internal and external communication and coordinate EdLing seminars and other events.
In Spring 2019, Birgitta Waters and I led a school development project on disciplinary literacy and scaffolding in multilingual classrooms. The project was sponsored by the Swedish National Agency for Education.
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Ivanov, S. (2010). Обучение дискурсному чтению на иностранном языке студентов социально-политических специальностей. Вестник Тверского государственного университета. 3. 150-156.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Ivanov, S. (2017). Criticality in policy, attitudes and practices : Evidence from upper secondary History classrooms in Sweden, Russia and Australia. Criticality in Education (Research): Definitions, Discourses and Controversies : Booklet of abstracts.
- Ivanov, S. (2015). Critiquing Criticality : Policy Intentions, Teachers and Students' Perceptions and the Actual Practice in the Upper-Secondary History Classroom in Sweden, Russia and Australia. 13th Annual Hawaii International Conference on Education.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Ivanov, S., Komarova, Y. (2016). Место и роль дискурсного чтения в обучении профессионально направленному иностранному языку студентов социально-политических специальностей. Обучение чтению на иностранном языке в современном университете : Теория и практика. St Petersburg, Златоуст. 36-50.
- Ivanov, S., Deutschmann, M., Enever, J. (2015). Researching language-in-education policies : evidence from the Seychelles, Russia and the European Union. Språkdidaktik : researching language teaching and learning. Umeå, Department of Language Studies, Umeå University. 85-101.
Chapter in book (Other academic)
- Ivanov, S. (2013). Russia : 2 Theoretical underpinnings and ideals. Observing language teaching practices in Saint Petersburg and Malmö : A two-year intercultural project involving students and faculty members from the State University of Saint Petersburg and Malmö University. Malmö, Malmö University. 19-20.
Doctoral thesis, monograph (Other academic)
- Ivanov, S. (2016). A Transnational Study of Criticality in the History Learning Environment. Doctoral Thesis. Umeå, Umeå University. 230.
Conference proceedings (editor) (Other academic)
- Enever, J., Lindgren, E., Lundberg, G., Baker, J., Gheitasi, P., et al. (2014). Early Language Learning : Theory and Practice in 2014 : Umeå University, Sweden, 12th–14th June, 2014 : Abstracts. Umeå, Department of Language Studies, Umeå University. 143.
Article in journal (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
- Ivanov, S. (2017). Kritiskt tänkande av yttersta vikt i ett samhälle utan sanning. Dagens samhälle. 10-10.