I teach different courses in Masters and Bachelor levels mainly focusing on wood properties, wood anatomy, liquid impregnation, preservation and research methodology.
My field of research interest is in liquid movement in wood, wood anatomy, wood modification, preservation and wood drying. I am also interested in non-destructive evaluation of wood and wood-based composites. I give emphasis on wood modification in an environmental benign way.
My research groups and projects
Forestry and Wood In the Forestry and Wood field of research we are engaged in the entire chain, from forest to finished product, and with the development of new wood products for construction and…
Group of Forest Products (GoFP) The goal of the Group of Forest Products is to provide new knowledge and solutions that will lead to a more sustainable utilisation of raw materials from forests. We do…
The Bridge – strategic cooperation with IKEA <em> – This project has been completed – </em> <b>Since 2009, Linnaeus University and IKEA have successfully collaborated in a strategic partnership called…
Project: Bio-based polyurethane adhesives for cross-laminated timber (CLT) This project envisages the collaboration of the Group of Forest Products research group at Linnaeus University, for the…
Project: Creep behaviour of environmental-friendly wood panels under different service class situations The project aims at exploring fundamentals related to creep behaviour of environmental-friendly…
Project: Novel starch-based adhesive systems to enable recycling of fibreboards This project aims to develop and validate starch-based adhesives for recyclable fibreboards, both at the laboratory at…
Project: Sustainable use of virgin and recovered raw material streams for innovative bio-based products and business stimulation in Southern Sweden This project aims at increasing resource use…
Project: Tall-oil based hydrophobing formulations for industrial fibreboards The aim of this project is to develop, validate and demonstrate water repellent formulations for industrial fibreboards…
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Bobadilha, G.S., Stokes, C.E., Kirker, G., Ahmed, S.A., Ohno, K., et al. (2020). Effect of exterior wood coatings on the durability of cross-laminated timber against mold and decay fungi. BioResources. 15. 8420-8433.
- Sjökvist, T., Blom, Å., Ahmed, S.A. (2020). Liquid water absorption in coated Norway spruce : Impact of heartwood, sapwood, density and weather exposure. MADERAS : Ciencia y Tecnología. 22. 335-346.
- Ahmed, S.A., Adamopoulos, S., Poggi, F., Walther, T. (2020). Resonance and time-of-flight methods for evaluating the modulus of elasticity of particleboards at different humid conditions. Wood research. 65. 365-380.
- van Blokland, J., Adamopoulos, S., Ahmed, S.A. (2020). Performance of thermally modified spruce timber in outdoor above-ground conditions : Checking, dynamic stiffness and static bending properties. Applied Sciences. 10. 1-25.
- Hemmilä, V., Adamopoulos, S., Hosseinpourpia, R., Ahmed, S.A. (2019). Ammonium Lignosulfonate Adhesives for Particleboards with pMDI and Furfuryl Alcohol as Crosslinkers. Polymers. 11. 1-17.
- Ahmed, S.A., Adamopoulos, S. (2018). Acoustic properties of modified wood under different humid conditions and their relevance for musical instruments. Applied Acoustics. 140. 92-99.
- Ahmed, S.A., Morén, T., Sehlstedt-Persson, M., Blom, Å. (2017). Effect of oil impregnation on water repellency, dimensional stability and mold susceptibility of thermally-modified European aspen and downy birch wood. Journal of Wood Science. 63. 74-82.
- Wang, X.A., Björnberg, J., Hagman, O., Ahmed, S.A., Wan, H., et al. (2016). Effect of Low Temperatures on the Block Shear Strength of Norway Spruce Glulam Joints. BioResources. 11. 9638-9648.
- Elustondo, D., Ahmed, S.A., Oliveira, L. (2014). Drying western red cedar with superheated steam. Drying Technology. 32. 550-556.
- Ahmed, S.A., Sehlstedt-Persson, M., Morén, T. (2013). Development of a new rapid method for mould testing in a climate chamber : preliminary tests. European Journal of Wood and Wood Products. 71. 451-461.
- Ahmed, S.A., Sehlstedt-Persson, M., Morén, T. (2013). Mould susceptibility of Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) sapwood : Impact of drying, thermal modification, and copper-based preservative. International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation. 85. 284-288.
- Ahmed, S.A., Morén, T., Hagman, O., Cloutier, A., Fang, C., et al. (2013). Anatomical properties and process parameters affecting blister/blow formation in densified European aspen and downy birch sapwood boards by thermo-hygro-mechanical compression. Journal of Materials Science. 48. 8571-8579.
- Ahmed, S.A., Yang, Q., Sehlstedt-Persson, M., Morén, T. (2013). Accelerated Mold Test on Dried Pine Sapwood Boards : Impact of Contact Heat Treatment. Journal of wood chemistry and technology. 33. 174-187.
- Qian, Y., Karlsson, O., Ahmed, S.A., Morén, T. (2013). Dimensional Stability and Water Repellency of European Aspen Improved by Oxidized Carbohydrates.. BioResources. 8. 487-498.
- Ahmed, S.A., Hansson, L., Morén, T. (2013). Distribution of preservatives in thermally modified Scots pine and Norway spruce sapwood. Wood Science and Technology. 47. 499-513.
- Ahmed, S.A., Sehlstedt-Persson, M., Hansson, L., Morén, T. (2013). Evaluation of preservative distribution in thermally modified European aspen and birch boards using computed tomography and scanning electron microscopy. Journal of Wood Science. 59. 57-66.
- Ahmed, S.A., Sehlstedt-Persson, M., Karlsson, O., Morén, T. (2012). Uneven distribution of preservative in kiln-dried sapwood lumber of Scots pine : Impact of wood structure and resin allocation. Holzforschung. 66. 251-258.
- Ahmed, S.A., Morén, T. (2012). Moisture properties of heat-treated Scots pine and Norway spruce sapwood impregnated with wood preservatives. Wood and Fiber Science. 44. 85-93.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Adamopoulos, S., Ahmed, S.A., Lankveld, C. (2018). Acoustic properties of acetylated wood under different humid conditions and its relevance for musical instruments. Proceedings of the 9th European Conference on Wood Modification 2018, Arnhem, The Netherlands. 236-243.
- Sidorova, E., Ahmed, S.A., Diego, E. (2014). Wood thermal-modification at Luleå University of Technology. Final Cost Action FP0904 Conference “Recent Advances in the Field of TH and THM Wood Treatment” May 19-21, 2014, Skellefteå, Sweden : Books of Abstracts. 75-75.
Report (Other academic)
- Sehlstedt-Persson, M., Ahmed, S.A. (2014). Metodutveckling för mögeltestning av trä - förstudie : Slutrapport. TräCentrum Norr. 23.
- Sehlstedt-Persson, M., Persson, F., Karlsson, O., Ahmed, S.A. (2013). Virkestorkningens inverkan på impregnerbarhet i furusplint – Del II : Delrapport 1. TräCentrum Norr. 42.
- Ahmed, S.A., Morén, T. (2012). Förstudie: värmebehandling av trä : slutrapport. 5.
- Sehlstedt-Persson, M., Wamming, T., Karlsson, O., Ahmed, S.A. (2011). Modern torknings inverkan på impregnerbarhet i furusplint : Förstudie. TräCentrum Norr. 21.