My research interests centers on music and sound as parts of intermedial and multimodal media constallations, and in particular on the role and function of sound and music in different types of animation films.
In my ongoing PhD project, I focus on music in children's animation features, trying to locate the musical potantial for meaning in the interaction between: formal, multimodal features of the films; the social context of the viewing situation; and the active interpretation and reception processes the child is engaged in. The project is based on an interdiciplinary framework drawing primarily on qualitative audience reception studies, multimodality studies and musicology, analysing a selected range of popular animation features from a 'textual' perspective as well as exploring children's verbalisations of their actual experiences of the films through qualitative group interviews.
My research groups and projects
Linnaeus University Centre for Intermedial and Multimodal Studies Linnaeus University Centre for Intermedial and Multimodal Studies is an interdisciplinary environment that covers the fields of, primar…
Centre for Childhood Research in Literature, Language and Learning The Centre for Childhood Research in Literature, Language and Learning (CHILLL) is a research network consisting of scholars in the Hu…
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Jensen, S.K. (2018). Multimodal depth in film : A proposal for a multimodal and sound-oriented approach to intersemiotic analysis. Presented at the 9th International Conference on Multimodality, 9ICOM : August 15-17, 2018, at the University of Southern Denmark in Odense, Denmark.
- Jensen, S.K. (2018). Animating characters through music : A multimodal and musical framework for character analysis exemplified through Pixar’s 'Up'. Symbiotic Cinema, Confuences between film and other media : 24th Sercia Conference, 6-8 September 2018 - Växjö, Sweden. 44-45.
- Jensen, S.K. (2018). Exploring children’s understanding and interpretation of music in animated film : A multimodal framework. Researching Multimodal Childhood Symposium 2018.
- Jensen, S.K. (2017). Sound as animation : An investigation into the indexical and reality-inducing function of sound in animation features. Music and the Moving Image, New York, May 26-28, 2017.
- Jensen, S.K. (2017). Sound as Animation. SAS 2017, Society for Animation Studies : Università degli Studi di Padova, Dipartimento dei Beni Culturali, July 3-7, 2017.