I am a Physiotherapist and Senior Lecturer at the Department of Health and Care Sciences where I am teaching in the undergraduate nursing program.
I am interested in experience-based learning, human movements and the use of digital technology to support learning and development for health. In my dissertation (2016) I developed a learning model (VILMA) to support learning, movement awareness and change of one's own individual movements with the support of video as a tool for feedback and reflection.
I am involved in research projects in Kalmar that focus on supporting patient activation, self-care and breaking sedentary behavior among older people. Among other things, we study how 3D visualization of movements through Skeleton Avatar Technique can be used in functional assessments. During 2020 I am postdoc at the University of Calgary, Canada and will continue develop and study innovative solutions and technology to support enhance assessment, learning and improvement of functional mobility in daily living among older adults.
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Backåberg, S., Hellström, A., Fagerström, C., Halling, A., Lincke, A., et al. (2020). Evaluation of the Skeleton Avatar Technique for Assessment of Mobility and Balance Among Older Adults. Frontiers of Computer Science. 2. 1-13.
- Backåberg, S., Brunt, D., Rask, M., Gummesson, C. (2019). Experiences of using a video-based learning model during a long-term process of movement awareness and learning – a hermeneutical study. European Journal of Physiotherapy. 1-7.
- Backåberg, S., Rask, M., Gummesson, C., Brunt, D. (2015). Video-based feedback combined with reflective enquiry : An interactive model for movement awareness among nursing students. Nordic Journal of Digital Literacy. 10. 246-264.
- Backåberg, S., Gummesson, C., Brunt, D., Rask, M. (2015). Is that really my movement? : Students’ experiences of a video-supported interactive learning model for movement awareness. International Journal of Qualitative Studies on Health and Well-being. 10.
- Backåberg, S., Rask, M., Brunt, D., Gummesson, C. (2014). Impact of musculoskeletal symptoms on general physical activity during nursing education.. Nurse Education in Practice. 14. 385-390.
Report (Other academic)
- Backåberg, S., Kimming, A., Peter, K., Christina, R. (2020). IRAF - Instrument for Movement Analysis of Person Transfer and Mobility in Daily Living. 4.
Doctoral thesis, comprehensive summary (Other academic)
- Backåberg, S. (2016). Video-supported Interactive Learning for Movement Awareness : a learning model for the individual development of movement performance among nursing students. Doctoral Thesis. Växjö, Linnaeus University Press. 59.