Stepan Shevtsov started his PhD in 2014 in the AdaptWise research group. One key challenge in the field of self-adaptive systems is to provide evidence to assure the required quality properties during system operation. To tackle this challenge, Stepan studies an approach that combines formal modeling and verification with online learning. He takes an architecture-centric perspective on self-adaptation, which provides the right level of abstraction to manage complexity and the required generality of solutions. To design feedback loops, he employs principles from control theory, which provide a mathematical basis for analyzing key properties of self-adaptation, incl. stability and transient behavior. Online learning provides the means to enable the self-adaptive system to acquire knowledge about design time uncertainties during system operation. E.g., the system learns over time the reliability of a set of services, which enables better service selection. The research results will be validated in one of the domains of that are studied in the ongoing research projects of the research group.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Shevtsov, S., Weyns, D., Maggio, M. (2017). Handling New and Changing Requirements with Guarantees in Self-Adaptive Systems using SimCA*. Proceedings - 2017 IEEE/ACM 12th International Symposium on Software Engineering for Adaptive and Self-Managing Systems, SEAMS 2017, 3 July 2017 - 23 May 2017, Buenos Aires. 12-23.
- Shevtsov, S. (2016). Developing a Reusable Control-Based Approach to Build Self-Adaptive Software Systems with Formal Guarantees. FSE'16 : PROCEEDINGS OF THE 2016 24TH ACM SIGSOFT INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON FOUNDATIONS OF SOFTWARE ENGINEERING. 1060-1062.
- Shevtsov, S., Weyns, D. (2016). Keep It SIMPLEX : Satisfying Multiple Goals with Guarantees in Control-Based Self-Adaptive Systems. FSE'16 : PROCEEDINGS OF THE 2016 24TH ACM SIGSOFT INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON FOUNDATIONS OF SOFTWARE ENGINEERING. 229-241.
- Filieri, A., Maggio, M., Angelopoulos, K., D'ippolito, N., Gerostathopoulos, I., et al. (2015). Software engineering meets control theory. Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Software Engineering for Adaptive and Self-Managing Systems. 71-82.
- Shevtsov, S., Iftikhar, M.U., Weyns, D. (2015). SimCA vs ActivFORMS : comparing control- and architecture-based adaptation on the TAS exemplar. Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Control Theory for Software Engineering. 1-8.
- Weyns, D., Shevtsov, S., Pllana, S. (2014). Providing Assurances for Self-Adaptation in a Mobile Digital Storytelling Application Using ActivFORMS. 2014 IEEE Eighth International Conference on Self-Adaptive and Self-Organizing Systems (SASO) : Date 8-12 Sept. 2014. 110-119.