I am a designer (MFA) and senior lecturer in design.
Within the department of design, my teaching focuses on visual communication (graphic design, print & information design) as well as on transformative design practices and pedagogies. I also engage in teaching design to non-design students and are part of the teaching team of an advanced training course in education for sustainable development, directed towards academic staff from all disciplines.
My research focuses on visual communication, the physical and performative practice of designing, as well as the impact of sustainability on theories and practices of design. Having worked for the architect Paolo Soleri in his experimental project Arcosanti (Arizona/ US), I started early on to look into the correlation between design and sustainability and possible potential(s). There is a clear synergy between my teaching and research, both of which aim at understanding and supporting novice designers to engage, persist and succeed in developing a relational, inspiring and caring design practice.
- Programme director for the BA program Design + Change (2015-2016) & BA program Design with a specialisation in sustainability (2012-2017)
- Member of Committee for sustainable future(s) (2013-2016)
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Fountain, W., Carleklev, S., Hruza, S. (2019). Making resilience through design doing. Cumulus Conference Proceedings Rovaniemi 2019 : Around the Campfire – Resilience and Intelligence. 27th May – 1st June 2019, Rovaniemi, Finland. 83-91.
- Carleklev, S. (2017). Impossible care. Does Design Care...? : An International Workshop of Design Thought and Action. 99-103.
- Carleklev, S., Sterte, M. (2013). Pedagogy for teaching design – with an emphasis on sustainable design. Design learning for tomorrow : design education from kindergarten to PhD. 1451-1465.
Article in journal (Other academic)
- Rodgers, P., Innella, G., Bremner, C., Coxon, I., Broadley, C., et al. (2019). The Lancaster Care Charter. Design Issues. 35. 73-77.
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Carleklev, S. (2017). The Future Is Present : Designing Time for Sustainable Change. 11th International Conference on Design Principles & Practices : Design for the Global Village.
Chapter in book (Other academic)
- Carleklev, S. (2020). A Messy Theory of Design[ing]. 118 Theories of Design[ing]. Wilmington, DE, Vernon Press. 243-243.
- Carleklev, S. (2020). A Careful Theory of Design[ing]. 118 Theories of Design[ing]. Wilmington, DE, Vernon Press. 245-245.
- Carleklev, S. (2020). An Agile Theory of Design[ing]. 118 Theories of Design[ing]. Wilmington, DE, Vernon Press. 247-247.
Article in journal (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
- Carleklev, S., Älvgren, J., Idlinge, B., Tomsmark, L. (2020). Fem år med kursen Lärande för hållbar utveckling : erfarenheter och lärdomar. Högre Utbildning. 10. 13-17.