I am a researcher at Department Forestry and Wood Technology with a PhD in wood science. My master degree is in Chemical engineering with specialisation in surface chemistry.
My PhD studies were connected to The Bridge - a unique collaboration between IKEA and Linnaeus University.
Before I started my employment at Linnaeus University I worked in the pulp industry with specialisation in pulp drying.
I´m lecturing in the course 2TS343 Wood processing where I lectures in surface treatment and treatment processes.
I´m also part of the team to develop the engineering program within forestry and wood technology.
I work with the development of PhD courses in forestry and wood technology
My research topic is for example the interaction between the coating and the wood to search for the correlation between different coatings and wood characteristics.
I have found that low density wood (i.e. fast grown) could be the best wood to use for coating due the lower rate of cracking and hence a prolonged service life of the coating.
I´m very interested in the water sorption properties of different types of wood where I have found that it might be the hydroplilic extractives rather than wood morphology who contribute to the higher sorption rate of spruce sapwood than heartwood.
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Sjökvist, T., Blom, Å., Ahmed, S.A. (2020). Liquid water absorption in coated Norway spruce : Impact of heartwood, sapwood, density and weather exposure. MADERAS : Ciencia y Tecnología. 22. 335-346.
- Sjökvist, T., Blom, Å., Wålinder, M. (2019). The influence of heartwood, sapwood and density on moisture fluctuations and crack formations of coated Norway spruce in outdoor exposure. Journal of Wood Science. 65. 1-9.
- Sjökvist, T., Blom, Å. (2019). The influence of coating color, heartwood and sapwood, on moisture content and growth of microorganisms on the surface during outdoor exposure of Norway spruce boards. Journal of Coatings Technology and Research. 16. 819-826.
- Sjökvist, T., Niklewski, J., Blom, Å. (2019). Effect of wood density and cracks on the moisture content of coated Norway spruce (Picea abies (L.) Karst.). Wood and Fiber Science. 51. 160-172.
- Sjökvist, T., Wålinder, M.E., Blom, Å. (2018). Liquid sorption characterisation of Norway spruce heartwood and sapwood using a muiticycle Wilhelmy plate metho. International Wood Products Journal. 9. 58-65.
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Sjökvist, T., Blom, Å. (2016). Influence of some wood characteristics on the variation of moisture content in outdoor exposed coated Norway spruce panels. .
- Sjökvist, T., Blom, Å. (2016). The impact of heartwood and sapwood on biological discoloration of a painted surface. Proceedings of the 12th meeting of the Northern European Network for Wood Science and Engineering (WSE) : Wood science and engineering - a key factor on the transition to Bioeconomy. September 12-13, 2016, Riga, Latvia. 137-142.
Doctoral thesis, comprehensive summary (Other academic)
- Sjökvist, T. (2019). Coated Norway Spruce : Influence of Wood Characteristics on Water Sorption and Coating Durability. Doctoral Thesis. Växjö, Linnaeus University Press. 56.
Report (Other (popular science, discussion, etc.))
- Sjökvist, T., Blom, Å. (2017). Utomhusexponering av ytbehandlat trä : Undersökning av trämaterialets påverkan på beständigheten hos en målad granpanel. Växjö, Linnéuniversitetet. 46.