I am an associate professor in sociology, working at the Department of Cultural Sciences. I received my PhD in 2004 at the Dept. of Sociology at Lund University, Sweden. My thesis dealt with constructions of adventure narratives and myths in individual travelling (backpacking) to what is often described as the "third world". My current research focuses, above all, on negotiations of gender, ethnicity and culture in media representations and in other communication processes. At the moment, I study images of ethnicity and gender in Swedish district courts. Teaching and research approach: Media representations and myths, cultural sociology, social psychology, gender, ethnicity, intersectionality, discrimination, human rights issues, power structures, marginalization, belonging, primitivism/eurocentrism, ethnographic methods, CDA. My research activities are tied to the following research platforms: Concurrences, Linnaeus University, http://lnu.se/lnuc/linnaeus-university-centre-for-concurrences-in-colonial-and-postcolonial-studies. CCS, the Center for Cultural Sociology, https://lnu.se/en/research/searchresearch/center-for-cultural-sociology/ and the research platform for "Social vulnerability and social work", Malmö University, http://www.mah.se/fakulteter-och-omraden/Halsa-och-samhalle-startsida/Institutioner/Institutionen-for-socialt-arbete/Forskning/Forskningsplattformen-Social-utsatthet-och-socialt-arbete/Om-plattformen/.
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Elsrud, T., Lalander, P., Staaf, A. (2016). Internet racism, journalism and the principle of public access : Ethical challenges for qualitative research into ‘media attractive’ court cases. Ethnic and Racial Studies. 39. 1943-1961.
- Staaf, A., Elsrud, T. (2016). Socialtjänstens kontakter med barn i papperslöshet : om barns rätt till trygghet och skydd. Retfærd. Nordisk Juridisk Tidsskrift. 39. 31-47.
- Elsrud, T., Lalander, P., Staaf, A. (2015). Noise, voice and silencing during immigrant court-case performances in Swedish district courts. Ethnicities. 1-21.
- Elsrud, T. (2014). Othering the “other” in court : Threats to self-presentation during interpreter assisted hearings. International Journal of Law, Language & Discourse. 4. 27-68.
- Elsrud, T. (2008). Othering through genderization in the regional press. Constructing brutal others out of immigrants in rural Sweden. European Journal of Cultural Studies. 11. 423-446.
- Elsrud, T., Lalander, P. (2007). Projekt Norrliden. : Om småstadspressens etnifiering och genderisering av en förort. Sociologisk forskning. 6-25.
- Elsrud, T. (2005). Recapturing the Adventuress. Narratives on Identity and Gendered Positioning in Backpacking. Tourism Review International. 9(2). 123-137.
- Elsrud, T. (2001). Risk Creation in Traveling - Backpacker adventure narration. Annals of Tourism Research. 28. 597-617.
- Elsrud, T. (1998). Time creation in travelling: The taking and making of time among women backpackers. Time & Society. 7. 309-334.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Elsrud, T. (2016). Listening and learning : Intersectional challenges during courtroom observations. At the Delta : Belonging, Place and Visions of Law and Social Change : Law and Society Association (LSA), New Orleans, US, 2-5 June, 2016.
- Elsrud, T. (2015). Making allies or others? : Intersectional challenges during courtroom observations. Concurrences in Postcolonial Research : Perspectives, Methodologies, Engagements : Linnaeus University, Kalmar, Sweden, August 20-23, 2015.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Elsrud, T. (2006). Gender creation in travelling, or the art of transforming an "adventuress". Tourism, Consumption & Representation : narratives of place and self. Wallingford, CABI Publishing. 178-195.
Doctoral thesis, monograph (Other academic)
- Elsrud, T. (2004). Taking Time and Making Journeys. Narratives on Self and the Other among Backpackers. Doctoral Thesis. Lund, Dept of Sociology, Lund University. 225.
Report (Other academic)
- Elsrud, T., Forsberg, L. (2006). När dokumenten berättar : statistik och tankar kring placering av barn och unga i Kalmar län. Kalmar, Fokus Kalmar län. 101.