I am an associate professor in sociology, working at the Department of Social Work. I received my PhD in 2004 at the Dept. of Sociology at Lund University, Sweden. My thesis dealt with constructions of adventure narratives and myths in individual travelling (backpacking) to what is often described as the "third world". My current research focuses, above all, on negotiations of gender, ethnicity and culture in media representations and in other communication processes. At the moment, I study images of ethnicity and gender in Swedish district courts. Teaching and research approach: Media representations and myths, cultural sociology, social psychology, gender, ethnicity, intersectionality, discrimination, human rights issues, power structures, marginalization, belonging, primitivism/eurocentrism, ethnographic methods, CDA. My research activities are tied to the following research platforms: Concurrences, Linnaeus University, http://lnu.se/lnuc/linnaeus-university-centre-for-concurrences-in-colonial-and-postcolonial-studies. CCS, the Center for Cultural Sociology, https://lnu.se/en/research/searchresearch/center-for-cultural-sociology/ and the research platform for "Social vulnerability and social work", Malmö University, http://www.mah.se/fakulteter-och-omraden/Halsa-och-samhalle-startsida/Institutioner/Institutionen-for-socialt-arbete/Forskning/Forskningsplattformen-Social-utsatthet-och-socialt-arbete/Om-plattformen/.
My research groups and projects
Linnaeus University Centre for Concurrences in Colonial and Postcolonial Studies The Linnaeus University Centre for Concurrences in Colonial and Postcolonial Studies is a leading centre for Colonial an…
Social work and migration In the research and teaching environment Social work and migration participants study and discuss social work in times of migration. What challenges and opportunities does mig…
Project: Social wounds and civil repair following forced migration – a case study of narratives of suffering, ethics and morals among Swedish volunteers, social workers and young migrants
Project: Generating hope and dealing with uncertainty: An ethnographic study of the social dimensions of hope in the Swedish asylum-seeking context This project will study issues of hope and uncertaint…
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Staaf, A., Elsrud, T. (2018). Competent interpreters and enablingworking conditions in court : crucial prerequisites for a fair trial. Retfærd. Nordisk Juridisk Tidsskrift. 61-75.
- Elsrud, T., Lalander, P., Staaf, A. (2017). Noise, voice and silencing during immigrant court-case performances in Swedish district courts. Ethnicities. 17. 667-687.
- Elsrud, T., Lalander, P. (2017). Immigrant mafia or local lads on the binge? : The construction of (un)trustworthiness in Swedish district courts. Retfærd. Nordisk Juridisk Tidsskrift. 157. 182-200.
- Elsrud, T., Lalander, P., Staaf, A. (2016). Internet racism, journalism and the principle of public access : Ethical challenges for qualitative research into ‘media attractive’ court cases. Ethnic and Racial Studies. 39. 1943-1961.
- Staaf, A., Elsrud, T. (2016). Socialtjänstens kontakter med barn i papperslöshet : om barns rätt till trygghet och skydd. Retfærd. Nordisk Juridisk Tidsskrift. 39. 31-47.
- Elsrud, T. (2014). Othering the “other” in court : Threats to self-presentation during interpreter assisted hearings. International Journal of Law, Language & Discourse. 4. 27-68.
- Elsrud, T. (2008). Othering through genderization in the regional press. Constructing brutal others out of immigrants in rural Sweden. European Journal of Cultural Studies. 11. 423-446.
- Elsrud, T., Lalander, P. (2007). Projekt Norrliden. : Om småstadspressens etnifiering och genderisering av en förort. Sociologisk forskning. 6-25.
- Elsrud, T. (2005). Recapturing the Adventuress. Narratives on Identity and Gendered Positioning in Backpacking. Tourism Review International. 9(2). 123-137.
- Elsrud, T. (2001). Risk Creation in Traveling - Backpacker adventure narration. Annals of Tourism Research. 28. 597-617.
- Elsrud, T. (1998). Time creation in travelling: The taking and making of time among women backpackers. Time & Society. 7. 309-334.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Elsrud, T. (2018). Collect, shuffle and Select : Constructing coherent sentence stories and ethnic/racial differentiation from courtroom interaction. Law at the Crossroads: Le Droit à la Croisée des Chemins.
- Elsrud, T. (2016). Listening and learning : Intersectional challenges during courtroom observations. At the Delta : Belonging, Place and Visions of Law and Social Change : Law and Society Association (LSA), New Orleans, US, 2-5 June, 2016.
- Elsrud, T. (2015). Making allies or others? : Intersectional challenges during courtroom observations. Concurrences in Postcolonial Research : Perspectives, Methodologies, Engagements : Linnaeus University, Kalmar, Sweden, August 20-23, 2015.
Chapter in book (Refereed)
- Elsrud, T. (2017). Constructing Otherness in Swedish District Courts : Concurrent Distance-Making Performances During Courtroom Interaction. Concurrent Imaginaries, Postcolonial Worlds : Toward Revisited Histories. Leiden/Boston, Brill Academic Publishers. 187-207.
- Elsrud, T. (2006). Gender creation in travelling, or the art of transforming an "adventuress". Tourism, Consumption & Representation : narratives of place and self. Wallingford, CABI Publishing. 178-195.
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Elsrud, T. (2018). Shuffling the deck of statements: Constructing coherent sentence stories from courtroom complexities. Global Challenges : Borders, Populism and the Postcolonial Condition - an international conference on critical theory, post coloniality, migration and populism..
Doctoral thesis, monograph (Other academic)
- Elsrud, T. (2004). Taking Time and Making Journeys. Narratives on Self and the Other among Backpackers. Doctoral Thesis. Lund, Dept of Sociology, Lund University. 225.
Report (Other academic)
- Elsrud, T., Forsberg, L. (2006). När dokumenten berättar : statistik och tankar kring placering av barn och unga i Kalmar län. Kalmar, Fokus Kalmar län. 101.
Article, book review (Other academic)
- Elsrud, T. (2017). Women making herstory. Women making history: 100 år av immigrantkvinnors liv och arbete i Malmö. Malmö Stadsarkivet. Tidskrift för Genusvetenskap. 38. 115-118.