I am a postdoctoral fellow at the Department of Film and Literature and the Centre for Concurrences in Colonial and Postcolonial Studies.
I hold a BA in Drama Studies and English Literature from Trinity College Dublin, a Masters in Theatre Studies from the École Normale Supérieure de Lyon, and a DPhil in Medieval and Modern Languages from the University of Oxford.
I am also a keen theatre practioner and a playwright. I have written, performed in, directed plays in France, the UK and Ireland, and I hope to continue to do so in Sweden!
For more information on my research and artistic work, see my personal webpage: www.vanessalee.org
*I will not be undertaking any teaching this year, being on a research contract.*
I have experience teaching literary translation from and into French, leading undergraduate seminars and tutorials in French literature from the 17th century to the present, and supervising final year undergraduate dissertations in postcolonial studies, theatre, history, and gender studies.
My research interests include postcolonial theatre and film, gender studies, European, Asian, and Caribbean theatre. I am also a keen theatre practioner and playwright, and I am always interested in finding ways of associating art with academic practice.
I have published on intercultural theatre, casting practices in British and American theatre and film, Orientalism, women's histories, and Caribbean theatre.
My current project will look at food and migration in European cinema.
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Lee, V. (2017). Lost in consumerism : existential and linguistic wanderings in Confusion d’instants (2003) by Gerty Dambury. Transtext(e)s Transcultures: Journal of Global Cultural Studies. 12.
- Lee, V. (2017). Art and Politics in Contemporary French Caribbean Theatre : The (Re)presentation of Guadeloupe’s 2009 General Strike in Gerty Dambury’s Les Atlantiques amers and Des doutes et des errances. Journal of Romance Studies. 17. 211-231.
Conference paper (Refereed)
Article, book review (Refereed)
- Lee, V. (2019). Nouveaux entretiens avec Maryse Condé by François Pfaff, Paris : Éditions Karthala, 2016. International Journal of Francophone Studies. 22. 155-157.
- Lee, V. (2018). [ Review of ] Emily Sahakian, Staging Creolization: Women's Theater and Performance from the French Caribbean : Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2017. xiii + 274 pp. Illustrations, notes, bibliography, and index. ISBN 978-0-8139-4007-6 (pb). ISBN 978-0-8139-4008-3 (eb). ISBN 978-0-8139-4009-0. H-France Review. Charleston, H-France. 18. 1-4.
- Lee, V. (2017). Dangerous Creole Liaisons: Sexuality and Nationalism in French Caribbean Discourses from 1806 to 1897 : by Jacqueline Couti. Liverpool: Liverpool University Press, 2016. 224 pp. ISBN: 9781781383018. Bulletin of Francophone Postcolonial Studies: A Biannual Publication. Bailrigg, Society for Francophone Postcolonial Studies (SFPS). 8. 24-26.
- Lee, V. (2017). [ Review of ] Les Veuves créoles, comédie. Edited with an Introduction by Julia Prest : Cambridge: The Modern Humanities Research Association, 2017. 100 pp. ISBN: 9781781882641. Bulletin of Francophone Postcolonial Studies: A Biannual Publication. Lancaster, Society for Francophone Postcolonial Studies (SFPS). 8. 28-29.
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Lee, V. (2018). Portraying the ‘Other’ : the ‘Oriental’ in French theatre and culture. Presented at Society for Francophone Postcolonial Studies (SFPS) Annual Conference 2018.
- Lee, V. (2018). The life and works of Suzanne Césaire. Translating Cultures : French Caribbean History, Literature and Migration : Monday 24 September 2018, 10.15 – 17.00, British Library Knowledge Centre.