Landfill mining is one of the major subjects that I am doing researches in, I am studying the possibility to reuse the waste materials as a raw material in different industries. And I am also investigating the possibility to extract metals from all the contaminated solid media (like soil, sediments and waste glass) and trying to develop all the known methods in this field and study the possibility to find new methods for metals extraction. Waste water treatment is also one of the fields that I am working with and I have also long experience in the field of mathematical and stochastic modelling.
Article in journal (Refereed)
- Jani, Y., Mutafela, R., Ferrans, L., Ling, G., Burlakovs, J., et al. (2019). Phytoremediation as a promising method for the treatment of contaminated sediments. Iranian Journal of Energy and Environment. 10. 58-64.
- Marchand, C., Jani, Y., Kaczala, F., Hijri, M., Hogland, W. (2018). Physicochemical and Ecotoxicological Characterization of Petroleum Hydrocarbons and Trace Elements Contaminated Soil. Polycyclic aromatic compounds (Print).
- Jani, Y., Pehme, K., Bucinskas, A., Kriipsalu, M., Burlakovs, J., et al. (2018). Speciation of Cu, Zn and Cr in Excavated Fine Fraction of Waste at two Landfills. Iranica Journal of Energy and Environment (IJEE). 9. 86-90.
- Hogland, M., Arina, D., Kriipsalu, M., Jani, Y., Kaczala, F., et al. (2018). Remarks on four novel landfill mining case studies in Estonia and Sweden. Journal of Material Cycles and Waste Management. 20. 1355-1363.
- Jani, Y., Hogland, W. (2018). Chemical extraction of trace elements from hazardous fine fraction at an old glasswork dump. Chemosphere. 195. 825-830.
- Marchand, C., Mench, M., Jani, Y., Kaczala, F., Notini, P., et al. (2018). Pilot scale aided-phytoremediation of a co-contaminated soil. Science of the Total Environment. 618. 753-764.
- Burlakovs, J., Jani, Y., Kriipsalu, M., Vincevica-Gaile, Z., Kaczala, F., et al. (2018). On the way to 'zero waste' management : Recovery potential of elements, including rare earth elements, from fine fraction of waste. Journal of Cleaner Production. 186. 81-90.
- Jani, Y., Hogland, W. (2017). Reduction-melting extraction of trace elements from hazardous waste glass from an old glasswork’s dump in the southeastern part of Sweden. Environmental science and pollution research international. 24. 26341-26349.
- Burlakovs, J., Kriipsalu, M., Klavins, M., Bhatnagar, A., Vincevica-Gaile, Z., et al. (2017). Paradigms on landfill mining : From dump site scavenging to ecosystem services revitalization. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. 123. 73-84.
- Jani, Y., Kriipsalu, M., Pehme, K., Burlakovs, J., Hogland, M., et al. (2017). Composition of waste at an early EU-landfill of Torma in Estonia. Iranica Journal of Energy and Environment / Iranian Journal of Energy and Environment. 8. 113-117.
- Marchand, C., Hogland, W., Kaczala, F., Jani, Y., Marchand, L., et al. (2016). Effect of Medicago sativa L. and compost on organic and inorganic pollutant removal from a mixed contaminated soil and risk assessment using ecotoxicological tests. International journal of phytoremediation. 18. 1136-1147.
- Jani, Y., Kaczala, F., Charlotte, M., Hogland, M., Mait, K., et al. (2016). Characterisation of excavated fine fraction and waste composition from a Swedish landfill. Waste Management & Research. 34. 1292-1299.
- Jani, Y., Hogland, W. (2014). Waste glass in the production of cement and concrete – A review. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering. 2. 1767-1775.
- Svensson, H., Jani, Y., Hogland, W., Marques, M. (2014). Particle size characterization of oak wood leachate : chemical oxygen demand and toxicity distribution within different fractions. Water Science and Technology. 70. 502-509.
- Jani, Y., Burlakovs, J., Augustsson, A., Marques, M., Hogland, W. Characterization and toxicity of hazardous wastes from an old Swedish glasswork dump.
Conference paper (Refereed)
- Ferrans, L., Jani, Y., Hogland, W. (2019). Testing of heavy metals recovery from dredged sediments. Sediment as a dynamic natural resource from catchment to open sea.
- Mutafela, R., Kaczala, F., Jani, Y., Aid, G., Hogland, W. (2018). Methods for investigation of old glass waste dumpsites. Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium On Enhanced Landfill Mining : 5-6 February 2018, Mechelen, Belgium. 145-150.
- Valujeva, K., Burlakovs, J., Grinfelde, I., Pilecka, J., Jani, Y., et al. (2018). Phytoremediation as tool for prevention of contaminant flow to hydrological systems. Research for Rural Development 2018 : Engineering, landscape architecture. 188-194.
- Burlakovs, J., Purmalis, O., Krievāns, M., Jani, Y. (2016). Ground-penetrating Radar (GPR) Geoenvironmental Screening in Lakes of Latvia - Challenges and Outcomes. .
- Burlakovs, J., Kriipsalu, M., Arina, D., Kaczala, F., Ozola, R., et al. (2016). Metals and rare Earth’s elements in landfills : case studies. 3rd Int. Symposium on Enhanced Landfill Mining, Lisboa, 8-10/2/2016.
- Denafas, G., Bučinskas, A., Burlakovs, J., Dace, E., Bazienė, K., et al. (2016). Investigation for landfill mining feasibilities in the Nordic and Baltic countries : overview of project results. CYPRUS 2016 4th International Conference on Sustainable Solid Waste Management, At Limassol, Cyprus, 23–25 June 2016.. 1-13.
Conference paper (Other academic)
- Mutafela, R., Jani, Y., Hogland, W. (2018). Circular Economy Perspectives in Managing Old Contaminated Glass Dumps. 11th International Conference on the Establishment of Cooperation among Companies and Institutions in the Nordic Countries, the Baltic Sea Region and the World, Kalmar, Sweden, November 19-21, 2018 : Book of Abstracts. 149.
- Mutafela, R., Jani, Y., Kaczala, F., Burlakovs, J., Kihl, A., et al. (2016). Characterization of Waste from Glassworks towards Resource Recovery - the Case of Madesjö Dumpsite. Linnaeus Eco-Tech 2016, 21-23 November 2016, Kalmar, Sweden : Book of Abstracts, The 10th International Conference on Establishment of Cooperation between Companies and Institutions in the Nordic Countries, the Baltic Sea Region and the World.. 159-159.
Doctoral thesis, comprehensive summary (Other academic)
- Jani, Y. (2018). Landfills and glass dumpsites as future bank accounts of resources – waste characterization and trace elements extraction. Doctoral Thesis. Växjö, Linnaeus University Press.
Manuscript (preprint) (Other academic)
- Marchand, C., Mohamed, H., Jani, Y., Kaczala, F., Hogland, W. Long-term phytoremediation of petroleum hydrocarbons and metals contaminated soil.
- Marchand, C., Mohamed, H., Jani, Y., Kaczala, F., Mench, M., et al. Pilot scale ecopiling of petroleum hydrocarbons and metals contaminated soil.