computer keyboard

Credit transfer

If you have previously acquired academic merits from a Swedish or foreign university you can apply for a credit transfer at Linnaeus University. Other education as well as work experience can also be possible to credit transfer. This website explains when a credit transfer is required and when it is not, as well as guides you in your application process. Our ambition is that the processing time should normally not exceed one month after receiving a complete application. More complicated cases may require a longer processing time. Further, the processing time may also be affected by the ongoing pandemic.

To apply for credit transfer you must be a student at Linnaeus University, i.e. you must be admitted to and carry out an education at Linnaeus University. That means that you are registered on a programme or at least one course at Linnaeus University.

In the case of credit transfer, the content, scope and level of your previous studies/work experience are evaluated with regard to the syllabus of the course you are applying to get the credits transferred to.

Therefore, it is important that you have documentation of your previous studies/work experience and include the correct attachments to your application.

(If you have no documentation and you do not have the opportunity to obtain it, you should instead read more about the validation process here: Recognition of prior learning).

Before applying for credit transfer

You should be able to reply with ‘yes’ to the following points to avoid getting a rejection on your application:

  • Are you a student at Linnaeus University, i.e. admitted and registered?
  • Have you passed courses during your previous studies? (Only courses with the minimum grade ‘passed’ can be credited).
  • Do you have all the attachments that need to be sent in with the application? (Read more about required documents below under the heading ‘To apply for credit transfer’)

Additionally, it is useful to make sure whether you actually need to apply for credit transfer or not in order to avoid waiting for an unnecessary decision. Read more about this under ‘Do I need to credit my previous studies’ and ‘Do I need to credit my previous professional activities’ below.

To apply for credit transfer

In order to apply for credit transfer, you should use the form below. It is important that your application is complete because your case cannot be processed otherwise. We therefore advise you to read the instructions on page 2 of the application form carefully before submitting your application.

Decision on your application

When you have applied for credit transfer and the application is complete, the processing time is about one month. Once a decision has been made, it will be sent to the e-mail address you put on the application form (if you have not requested it to be sent to you by postal mail). There are three different decisions on the application for credit transfer.


Approval means that your application was approved. The decision also states which of your previous studies/your previous work experience is the basis for the decision.

The approved credits will be added to Ladok. You will be able to see them when you log on to your account on the Student Services (

Partial rejection

If not your entire application but only a certain part of it has been approved, you will receive a partial rejection. The decision then contains information about which part of the course you applied for can be credited, and a reason for why the remaining parts cannot be credited.

The approved credits will be added to Ladok. You will be able to see them when you log on to your account on the Student Services (

Please note that when only a part of a course has been credit transferred, this cannot always be added to Ladok right away. This is the case if the course is given during a later semester and you have to finish it by taking the parts of the course that were not credited. In case part of a free-standing course is credited, you must additionally apply for the course and be admitted to it, before the credit transfer can be added into Ladok.


Rejection means that your application cannot be approved, neither fully nor partially.


If you are not satisfied with the decision you have received, you can appeal it. An appeal must be addressed to The Higher Education Appeals Board (Överklagandenämnden för högskolan, ÖNH), but handed in to Linnaeus University. You have three weeks to submit your appeal, from the day you received the decision.

You will receive more information about how to appeal a decision when it is sent to you.

FAQ - frequently asked questions and answers

I have been admitted to Linnaeus University, when do I count as a student so that I can apply for credit transfer?

You need to accept your admission, and register for a course before submitting your application for credit transfer.

Where do I send my application?

The application form contains instructions on where to send it.

How is my application going to be processed?

The Office of Student Affairs reviews your application and makes sure it is complete. The application is then sent to the respective faculty where the examiner for the course you want to transfer credits to, decides on your application. The decision is then sent to you from the Office of Student Affairs.

How is an approved credit transfer documented?

All approved credit transfers are documented in Ladok. In some cases, an approval can first be documented when the remaining parts of the course/module have been completed.

How does credit transfer impact my student loan?

You will not receive study grants from CSN for credited courses. You yourself have to notify CSN if your credit transfer causes you to take fewer credits one term than what you have applied for initially.

Can I participate in a course that I have had credit transferred?

No, if a course is completed from a credit transfer, you cannot enroll, register or participate in that course on a later occasion. 

Can I appeal a credit transfer decision?

Yes, any type of decision on your application can be appealed. Information about how to appeal is provided in connection with the decision.

I am participating in Contract education assignment education, can I apply for credit transfer of previous studies or work experience within the education?

The Higher Education Ordinance only handles credit transfers within higher education. Contract education is not considered university education. Hence, it is not possible to transfer credits within a contract education. You are also not a student according to the definition of the Higher Education Ordinance and therefore do not have the right to credit things to Linnaeus University's usual educational programme.