Preparing for your stay

Preparing for your stay

Moving to another country, even for a short period of time, requires a great deal of preparation and planning ahead. Administrative processes usually take some time, which means that you will have to start early. On these pages we have gathered information that will help while preparing for your stay in Sweden at Linnaeus University.

Once you have successfully submitted your application and been admitted to Linnaeus University there are many things to prepare before departure.

We would also advice you to read through our Survival guide for international students for additional information about the Swedish education system, your studies, the facilities and student services around campus etc.

Pre-arrival Webinar

The International Office offers pre-arrival webinars for all Internationalstudents. 
E-mail was sent out to all student with time and date. Please check the recordings of the webinars below.

Webinar from the 14th of April, 2020

Webinar from the 6th of May, 2020

Webinar from the 14th of May, 2020

Residence permit

For non-EU/EEA citizens

Non-EU/EEA citizens must have been granted a student residence permit ('uppehållstillstånd för studier') before entering Sweden. In order to qualify for a residence permit, you must have been granted admission to full-time studies (at least 30 credits per semester). You should apply for your permit on the Migration Agency's website or at the nearest Swedish embassy or consulate 2-3 months before departure. Don't leave for Sweden without your student residence permit! A tourist visa is not sufficient as it is only valid for three months.

You need the following documents when applying for your student residence permit:

  • Copy of your passport
  • Letter of acceptance from Linnaeus University, the Notification of Selection Results
  • Certificate showing comprehensive medical insurance cover valid in Sweden. Fee-paying students are covered by the FAS insurance (the condition is that you have paid your tuition fee for the first semester). This insurance is issued under the authority of Kammarkollegiet. You can find the information regarding the FAS insurance on the Notification of Selection Results, that is what you upload when the Migration Agency ask you for proof of insurance.
  • A bank statement showing sufficient funds to support yourself during your studies (e.g. a bank guarantee), approximately SEK 8190 per month OR a document proving you have been awarded a scholarship or are in receipt of a study grant/student loan/salary or equivalent, detailing the amount and period during which you will be receiving the funds.

For further information on residence permits, please visit the Swedish Migration Agency. A list of Swedish embassies can be found at

For EU/EEA citizens

Students from an EU/EEA country may study in Sweden without a residence permit. As of 1 May 2014, EU/EEA citizens are not required to apply for right of residence in Sweden. If you are staying longer than a year, you are recommended to register at the Swedish Tax office, Skatteverket.

The closest Migration Board office is located in Växjö.
Visiting address: Norrgatan 23
Postal address: Migrationsverket, Tillståndsenheten,
Box 1228, 351 12 Växjö


Fee-paying students

Fee-paying students are covered by the FAS insurance (the condition is they have paid their tuition fee for the semester). This insurance is issued under the authority of Kammarkollegiet and it is backed by the full faith and credit of the Swedish government. Terms and conditions can be found at Kammarkollegiet's website.
The FAS insurance is valid two weeks before the start of the semester and two weeks after the end of the semester.

Exchange students

Exchange students are covered by the Student IN insurance. This insurance is issued under the authority of Kammarkollegiet and it is backed by the full faith and credit of the Swedish government. Terms and conditions can be found at Kammarkollegiet's website.

The Student IN insurance is valid two weeks before the start of the semester and two weeks after the end of the semester.

EU/EEA students

Citizens of EU/EEA countries or Switzerland should register for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in their home country before coming to Sweden. This card gives the student right to medical care at the same cost as Swedes.

Household insurance

If you are also interested in having a home insurance, make sure to purchase one in your home country before you leave.

Cost of living

Living costs in Sweden depend largely on your individual lifestyle. To give you an idea the following example of a budget might be of help.


1 month

1 semester/5 months







Course literature






Local travel



Medical and personal care



Clothes, hobbies, leisure etc.



Total SEK*




Banking information

Due to strict regulations and security aspects it takes an effort to open a bank account in Sweden, as in most foreign countries. Banks are required to carry out a stringent check of customer identity and they charge a fee for their services. Also, services and offers from the different banks are depending on how long you’re staying and whether you have a Swedish personal identity number or not.

General information - cash, checks and credit cards

All major credit cards are accepted in Sweden, both for direct payment and for withdrawing money from an ATM. Visa and Master cards are accepted nearly everywhere, while e.g. American Express may be accepted less frequently.

Don’t bring personal cheques, as they can’t be cashed at Swedish banks. Do not rely on one single means of payment. Make sure you have several different means of accessing your money. When arriving in Sweden, make sure to have some cash to cover daily expenses. During the first few days you will need some money to pay your Student Union fee and student association membership fees.

The best way to send money to Sweden is via online money transfer from the bank in your home country to your bank account in Sweden. Discuss this with your current bank before you come to Sweden.

Paying Bills

The cheapest and most convenient way to pay your bills is by transfer through your Swedish or home country’s online banking payment service. If online payment is not available to you via your bank’s services bills can be, paid at a lower cost per bill than most banks at convenience stores.

Banking options

Having access to a Swedish bank account during your stay in Sweden can be convenient for paying bills and receiving incomes, etc. However, depending on the agreement with your national bank, the fees of money exchange in Sweden might in total be less than the costs of a bank account, bank cards and payment fees. Please note that the offers from banks vary depending on how long you’re staying and if you have a Swedish personal identity number or not.

Short term students

If you are studying 1 or 2 semesters (less than 12 months) in Sweden you cannot get a Swedish personal identity number. You will get limited services at Swedish banks (e.g. no internet banking). Consider using your national bank account and bank card for money transactions and withdraw cash in ATM’s if necessary, even if this means that your transactions will result in currency exchanges.

Long term students

If you will be studying for more than 2 semesters (longer than 12 months) in Sweden you are entitled to apply for a Swedish personal identity number, which greatly facilitates your possibilities to open a bank account at a Swedish bank of your choice. Receiving your Swedish personal identity number may take a few weeks and should be done before applying for a bank account. Once you have a personal identity number you can also apply for a Swedish ID card which will simplify identification at the bank.

What do I need to open a bank account?

Read the checklist below to see what documents you need for opening an account. Also bear in in mind that Swedish banks are generally open only between 10.00 and 15.00, but they normally have one evening a week with extended opening hours.

  • Valid passport (Your passport must have a valid international standard for Swedish banks to accept it as an ID)
  • Your residence permit (if applicable)
  • Proof of admission showing the duration of studies and a certificate or registration
  • Details of address in Sweden
  • A birth certificate issued by the Swedish Tax Authority (if you have a Swedish personal identity number)

As a bank customer always remember to:

  • Inform the bank about changes in your contact information such as; your address, e-mail or telephone number
  • Close your Swedish bank account before you leave Sweden! This should be done at the branch office where you opened your bank account. (Note: Plan ahead-the amount of cash you can withdraw from your account in a single withdrawal is limited)

Pick-up service and orientation days

Pick-up service during the official arrival day

During the official arrival days, the International Office provides pick-up service upon your arrival in Kalmar or Växjö. A student will meet you at the airport or the train station in Växjö or Kalmar, provided that you have informed the International Office of your time of arrival by the date listed in your acceptance pack. You will be asked to fill in an arrival form (The link to the form will release a couple of weeks before the semester starts). When you arrive at the university you will also be handed an information pack. Linnaeus University will be present at Copenhagen Airport during the official arrival days to help you buy tickets and guide you to the right train, look for the Linnaeus University yellow roll up.

Should you arrive after the official arrival days, you have to contact us. When you arrive you need to find your own way to the university to retrieve your information pack. More information will be sent out at a later stage. All students should check in at the university even if you do not arrive during the arrival days. If you are studying a course as a distance course it's not mandatory to check in at the university.


To help you settle in at Linnaeus University, a mandatory orientation weekend will be held at the beginning of the semester. During the orientation you will receive both practical and academic information.The event is mandatory. The schedule of the orientation days will be sent out at a later stage. If you are studying a course as a distance course it's not mandatory to attend the orientation.