Study support for students with disabilities

Students with disabilities can get pedagogical support during their studies. Please apply for the support as soon as possible. Examples of support are, help taking notes, sign language interpreter or extended time at examination sittings.

Due to the fact that teaching and examinations are affected by the Coronavirus, we want you to know that you’re still welcome to get in touch with the Coordinators for students with disabilities. Please contact us by phone or email so we can book a meeting on Zoom, by telephone or at the University.


This is how you apply for support, applicable also for you who are already a student but wish to renew your certificate:

  1. Go to application Nais –
  2. Once you have completed your digital application in Nais, book a session with the appropriate coordinator. See contact information below.
  3. Following your conversation with the coordinator, during which you planned and discussed the pedagogical support together, you will get a decision on support measures and recommendations.

It is important that you contact a coordinator for students with disabilities well in advance, to be able to plan your support as well as possible.

In case you need other forms of support, means of assistance in your home or personal assistance, it is the municipality and/or the county council that you should contact.

The coordinators are most easily reached via phone or through mail and meetings can also be booked. Welcome to contact us!

Mari Ericsson
Coordinator for students with disabilities at the school of business and economics, the faculty of health and life sciences, the faculty of arts and humanities, and the faculty of technology in Växjö. 

Anna Nymark
Coordinator for students with disabilities on teacher educations and at the faculty of social sciences in Växjö. Coordinator for International students in Växjö.

Mathilda Karlsson
Coordinator for students with disabilities at all faculties in Kalmar.

Frida Heinmets

Coordinator for mentors in Växjö and Kalmar. 

Pedagogical support measures

Here you can read more about the most common forms of pedagogical support that is available to students with disabilities.

Examples of pedagogical support measures

  • Adapted/alternative examination. An adapted/alternative examination can, for instance, mean getting more time for the examination sitting, the possibility to write your answers on a computer, or to take the examination in private. The examiner has the final say concerning examination forms.
  • Note taking. You can get help from a fellow student who takes notes during lectures and then makes copies for you. The note-taking help will be appointed by you, and this person will then get remuneration from the office of student affairs. It is important that you inform the coordinator who is your note-taking help.
  • Mentor. The mentor is supposed to be a personal support during your studies. The mentor focuses on things in your study situation that you feel are difficult, like, for instance, the structuring and planning of your studies. The mentor gives inspiration and functions as a discussion partner. Mentors get remuneration from the office of student affairs.
  • Talking books/large-print/braille. It is possible to have course literature recorded as a talking book or produced in large-print or braille. This is done by the Swedish Agency for Accessible Media (MTM).
  • Interpreter. In case you are in need of a sign language or writing interpreter during your studies you are entitled to this. However, it requires a lot of time for preparations, so contact a coordinator well in advance, preferably as soon as you apply for a course or programme at Linnaeus University.

Other forms of support

  • Accessible facilities. The university's facilities must be accessible. There are hearing loops in many of the university's rooms. Contact your teacher or coordinator in order to find out how these are used. The rooms must be booked well in advance.
  • Means of assistance. In order to get access to means of assistance you should contact the county council and/or the municipality in which you have your national registration.
  • Personal assistance and housing support. You can apply for personal assistance from Försäkringskassan. Housing support can be applied for in the municipality where you live.

The University Library's support to students with disabilities

The page contains information about the University Library's services for students with disabilities.

Legimus and The Swedish Agency for Accessible Media (MTM)

The Swedish Agency for Accessible Media's information to you who study at a higher education institution and are in need of adapted literature.

Study with disabilities

The page contains information about being a student with a disability and what help there is to get. It is a national page that also contains information about studying in Sweden.

Do you want to become a mentor?

The office of student affairs is looking for students who want to work extra as mentors. The mentors are supposed to function as support for students with disabilities. The work involves helping another student to plan and structure his/her study situation.

The mentorship requires a work effort of roughly 2–3 hours a week and you get salary for your work.

Does this sound interesting?

For more information, or to register your interest, contact the coordinators for students with disabilities on email:

The knowledge you gain from being a mentor may very well prove valuable in your future working life!

Information to you who work as note-taking help or mentor

In order to get your salary it is important that you follow the instructions on this page! If you have any questions, please contact the coordinators at  

Please note that there are many rules for how to pay taxes in Sweden, such as the Special income tax for residents abroad (SINK). You are responsible for finding out the rules that apply for you and to let us know. The Swedish Tax Agency has information about the rules.

As note-taking help and/or mentor you are employed by Linnaeus University. In order to get your salary you must fill in a fees form (Remuneration Form/Blankett för arvode) each month stating the hours you have worked.

In order to get your salary by the 25th of a month the fees form must have been received by Linnaeus University on the 8th of that month at the latest. Bills that are received after the 8th will be paid the following month.

Remuneration forms that are received between June 6 and September 8 may be administered and paid in September. The remuneration for note-taking assistance is SEK 60/hour (any costs for copying are included in the remuneration), the remuneration for mentors is SEK 135/hour.

Linnaeus University’s salary-paying bank is Danske Bank. In order for you to get your salary to the account of your preference, you must register via Danske Bank’s salary service. If you do not carry out this registration, your salary will paid via a paycheck sent through mail. It may also be the case that your first payment is sent as a paycheck. Instructions for how to get registered. 

If you need a certificate of employment, please contact the office of human resources at Linnaeus University, via the switchboard on phone number +46 772-28 80 00. If you want to have a certificate that describes your work as mentor, please contact the coordinator that gave you the commission.