My teaching is primarily within the University's teacher training programmes.I am senior lecturer in English language specialising in EFL teacher training, based mainly in Kalmar. I hold an MA in Applied Linguistics (distinction) and a PhD from the Centre for English Language Studies, University of Birmingham, UK I also have a Post Graduate Certificate of Education (primary age range, 7-12 yrs) from the University of Exeter, UK, conferring qualified UK teacher status.
Over the past 30 years, I have taught in the United Kingdom, Sweden and the Middle East as well as running teacher training courses in Lithuania, Poland, Ethiopia, Iceland, Ecuador and Japan.I am also jointly responsible for coordinating Kalmar Växjö Language Teacher Network for local language teachers in the Kalmar County area. This network seeks to facilitate contact between the university and local teachers, providing in-service training in the form of practical workshops in language and literature didactics.
I am the department's representative for IATEFL, the international organization for teachers of English as a foreign language.
My current research and teaching interests encompass all aspects of ICT (information communication technology) and CALL (computer assisted language learning) at primary and secondary levels.
I have extensive experience with online and blended teaching contexts. My most recent work has focused on the use of mobile devices such as iPads and mobile phones in the remote assessment of teaching practice together with my colleagues David Richardson and Dr Stella Hadjistassou, University of Cyprus. Other interests within ICT and English language teaching include digital literacy and the role of virtual learning environments (VLEs) such as Moodle alongside social media in the development of pre-service teachers' personal learning environments.
Artikel i tidskrift (Refereegranskat)
- Hadjistassou, S.K., Allen, C. (2018). Using iPad-mediated recordings to offer contingent feedback and introduce pre-service teachers to the epistemology of the teaching practice. Journal of Computers in Education. 5. 373-392.
- Allen, C., Hadjistassou, S. (2018). Remote tutoring of pre-service EFL teachers using iPads. ELT Journal. 72. 353-364.
- Karlsson, T., Hans, B., Wikander, T., Holmberg, G., Wahlström, R., et al. (2016). 50 Forgotten Miras. Journal of the American Association of Variable Star Observers. 44. 156-163.
- Allen, C. (2015). Marriages of convenience? : Teachers and coursebooks in the digital age. ELT Journal. 69. 249-263.
- Berggren, J., Allen, C. (2017). The assessment of digital project in the EFL classroom. CALL in a climate of change : adapting to turbulent global conditions, short papers from EUROCALL 2017. 46-50.
- Allen, C., Berggren, J. (2016). Digital literacy and sustainability : a field study in EFL teacher development. CALL communities and culture : short papers from EUROCALL 2016. 14-19.
- Allen, C., Hadjistassou, S.K., Richardson, D. (2016). Self-evaluation using iPads in EFL teaching practice. CALL communities and culture : short papers from EUROCALL 2016. 20-24.
Artikel i tidskrift (Övrigt vetenskapligt)
- Allen, C. (2017). MOOCs as primers in EFL Teacher Training. The Teacher Trainer Journal. 31. 11-13.
- Allen, C. (2015). Reacting to the technology splurge : information and Communications Technology (ICT) Training for EFL teachers in the one-to-one era. The Teacher Trainer Journal. 29. 19-21.
- Allen, C. (2001). From Johnson to Cobuild : Grammar and the New Dictionaries. LMS : Lingua. 37-44.
- Allen, C. (2000). Problem, Tasks and Language Teaching. LMS : Lingua. 2. 25-30.
- Allen, C. (1998). IT Training for Modern Language Teachers. LMS : Lingua. 2. 18-22.
Konferensbidrag (Övrigt vetenskapligt)
- Bolona Lopez, M.D.C., Ortiz, M.E., Allen, C. (2015). Using mobile devices and the Adobe Connect web conferencing tool in the assessment of EFL student teacher performance. Critical CALL – Proceedings of the 2015 EUROCALL Conference, Padova, Italy. 77-83.
- Allen, C. (2015). Social media as an alternative to Moodle in EFL teaching practice forums. Critical CALL – Proceedings of the 2015 EUROCALL Conference, Padova, Italy. 9-15.
- Allen, C. (2013). Conceptions of Personal Learning Environments Among EFL Teachers at Upper Secondary Level in Sweden. 20 Years of EUROCALL: Learning from thePast, Looking to the Future. Proceedings of the 2013 EUROCALL Conference, Évora, Portugal. 7-13.
- Allen, C., Richardson, D. (2012). Exploring Digital Literacy in Student Teacher ICT Projects. Using, Learning, Knowing, EUROCALL Conference, Gothenburg, Sweden, 22-25 August 2012, Proceedings. 5-9.
Doktorsavhandling, monografi (Övrigt vetenskapligt)
- Allen, C. (2005). A Local Grammar of Cause and Effect : A Corpus-driven Study. Doctoral Thesis. University of Birmingham. 245.