I am an Assistant Professor of Marketing at Linnaeus School of Business and Economics, Linnaeus University. My research interests include retail sales, sensory marketing, branding, and food marketing.
I have recently published a paper about effects of ambient music on food choices in Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science. An earlier version of this research received the Award for Best Paper in the Health and Nutrition Track at the 2018 AMA Winter Academic Conference. This research has been featured extensively in the media worldwide. More than 100 media outlets reported on our research, such as New York Times, Washington Post, Newsweek, Fox, Today Show, Food & Wine Magazine, South China Morning Post, and Daily Mail. The article has the highest Attention Score among all JAMS papers.
I serve as an Editorial Review Board Member for the Journal of Consumer Marketing (since 2014) and as a regular reviewer for Journal of Business Research (since 2016). I teach undergraduate-level courses in sensory marketing and branding and a graduate-level course in marketing analysis at Linnaeus University. In addition, I examine bachelor theses.
I am working on several research projects with colleagues in the US and in Europe. The projects are focusing on how factors in retail contexts, such as ambient scent, product display, interior decoration, assortment, and product variety influence sales, product choices, and attitudes. I have developed a collaboration network with a variety of companies in the retail and hospitality industry, which facilitates experimental field studies for research projects.
In my Ph.D. thesis, I examined how a brand personality changes over time as a result of brand extension. I collaborated with Beiersdorf AG, a global group that produces and markets the body and skin care brand Nivea. I made a comprehensive advertising analysis of four sub-brands, which spans over more than 70 years. I conducted interviews (in German) with executives, including the Chief Brand Officers, at the head office in Hamburg, Germany. In addition, I collaborated with the marketing and product management at the Nordic marketing office as well as with the advertising agency TBWA.
I have been invited to present my research for executives at ICA (the leading food retail chain in Sweden), for IKEA at Linnaeus University, for a wide range of companies at the Swedish Marketing Confederation in Stockholm, and for CEO’s from the Guangdong province in China at Lund University. I have also given research seminars at Lund University, Linköping University, Jönköping International Business School, and at the Media Management and Transformation Centre at Jönköping International Business School, Sweden.
Artikel i tidskrift (Refereegranskat)
- Biswas, D., Lund, K., Szocs, C. (2019). Sounds like a Healthy Retail Atmospheric Strategy: Effects of Ambient Music and Noise on Food Sales. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science. 47. 37-55.
- Biswas, D., Lund, K., Szocs, C. (2018). Effects of retail ambient music volume levels on food purchases : implications for retail atmospheric strategies and consumer wellbeing. 2018 AMA Winter Academic Conference: Integrating Paradigms in a World Where Marketing Is Everywhere, February 23-25, 2018, New Orleans, LA : proceedings. C-2-C-2.
- Biswas, D., Lund, K., Szocs, C. (2018). The effects of retail ambient music and noise on food purchases : an abstract. Boundary Blurred: A Seamless Customer Experience in Virtual and Real Spaces. AMSAC 2018 : Developments in Marketing Science: Proceedings of the Academy of Marketing Science. 83-83.
- Lueth, A.K., Lund, K., Biswas, D. (2017). How food-related scents influence consumers' choices for fresh products. .
- Biswas, D., Lund, K., Szocs, C. (2016). Ambient Music and Food Choices : Can Music Volume Level Nudge Healthier Choices?. NA – Advances in Consumer Research, Volume 44. 53-54.
- Lund, K. (2016). Change in Meaning of Brand Personality Characteristics : An Advertising Analysis. Creating Marketing Magic and Innovative Future Marketing Trends, Proceedings of 2016 Academy of Marketing Science Annual Conference. 203-203.
- Lund, K. (2014). Change in meaning of brand personality characteristics. ANZMAC Annual Conference 2014 : proceedings. 192-192.
- Lund, K. (2013). Transfer of brand associations over time : the brand extension of Nivea. .
Konferensbidrag (Övrigt vetenskapligt)
- Lund, K. (2014). Brand personality vs retail brand personality : an action figure or the customer in the store?. .
- Anderson, H., Berndt, A., Lund, K. (2013). Animals and brand association in advertising. NFF 2013 : On Practice and Knowledge Eruptions. ISSN 2298-3112.
Doktorsavhandling, monografi (Övrigt vetenskapligt)
- Lund, K. (2012). Transfer of brand associations over time : the brand extension of Nivea. Doctoral Thesis. Växjö, Kalmar, Linnaeus University Press. 189.