I am Associate Professor of Accounting and Programme Director for Accounting Specialisation at the School of Business and Economics, Linnaeus University, Sweden. I received my Dr. Sc. degree in Accounting from the Åbo Akademi University, Finland. The doctoral thesis was titled Essays on the Value Relevance of Environmental and Social Performance.
I teach accounting theory, management accounting and control, corporate governance, external accounting, environmental accounting and applied research methods. I supervise Master theses.
My pedagogical merits include pedagogical seminars and workshops; Att examinera i högre utbildning, Den gula tråden, Assessment and Evaluation, Assurance of Learning, Institutional Framework for Teaching and Tutoring, Teaching and Mentoring in Theory and Practice, Teaching with Cases: Engage, Energize, and Challenge Your Students and so on.
My research interests are in the area of sustainability and carbon accounting, performance measurement, management control systems, financial accounting, corporate valuation, active ownership, and stakeholder governance. Research work is regularly published in peer-reviewed accounting journals.
My research has been awarded the Finland's Sustainable Investment Forum Award, the Distinguished Scholar Award and the Outstanding Research Award.
Research projects include ESG Engagements by Nordic Institutional Investors for Risk Management, Management control systems in response to social, carbon and other environmnetal risks and Sustainability, accountability and corporate governance. I have been a member of the Sustainable Investment Research Platform (SIRP), which has been financed by Mistra, the Foundation for Strategic Environmental Research (Sweden).
Member of Editorial Board: International Journal of Corporate Strategy and Social Responsibility. Referee for Journals and Publishers (ad hoc): Corporate Governance. International Review, Journal of Applied Accounting Research, Sustainability Accounting, Management and Policy Journal, Journal of Business Ethics, Sustainable Development, Journal of Environmental Management, Sustainability, Baltic Journal of Management, Risk Management, Managerial Finance, European Business Review, Managerial Auditing Journal, Macmillan, Routledge, Cengage, and Edward Elgar.
Closing the ESG Transparency Gaps, 25 April 2022; International Sustainability Standard Board on the Exposure Drafts, 28 April 2022; Special issue on Standard-Setting of Sustainability Reporting, 23 May 2022
Sustainable Accounting and Finance Conference, April 27-28, 2022
Nicol Building, Carleton University, Canada, Virtual Conference. A peer-reviewed academic conference and a practitioner-focused conference with speakers, panelists, and respondents from industry.
Mina pågående forskningsprojekt
Artikel i tidskrift (Refereegranskat)
Semenova, N. (2023). The Public Effect of Private Sustainability Reporting : Evidence from Incident-Based Engagement Strategy. Journal of Business Ethics. 182. 559-572.
Svanberg, J., Ardeshiri, T., Samsten, I., Öhman, P., Neidermeyer, P.E., et al. (2022). Corporate governance performance ratings with machine learning. International Journal of Intelligent Systems in Accounting, Finance & Management. 29 (1). 50-68.
Semenova, N. (2021). Management control systems in response to social and environmental risk in large Nordic companies. International journal of corporate social responsibility. 6.
Semenova, N. (2020). Company receptivity in private dialogue on sustainability risks. Sustainability. 12 (2). 1-14.
Semenova, N., Hassel, L.G. (2019). The performance of investor engagement dialogues to manage sustainability risks. The Nordic Journal of Business. 68 (2). 5-22.
Semenova, N., Hassel, L. (2019). Private engagement by Nordic institutional investors on environmental, social, and governance risks in global companies. Corporate governance : An International Review. 27 (2). 144-161.
Semenova, N., Hassel, L. (2016). The moderating effects of environmental risk of the industry on the relationship between corporate environmental and financial performance. Journal of Applied Accounting Research. 17 (1). 97-114.
Semenova, N., Hassel, L. (2015). On the Validity of Environmental Performance Metrics. Journal of Business Ethics. 132 (2). 249-258.
Cerin, P., Hassel, L., Semenova, N. (2014). Energy performance and housing prices. Sustainable Development. 22 (6). 404-419.
Semenova, N., Hassel, L. (2013). Asymmetry in value relevance of environmental performance (EP) information : contingency effects of size and industry. Journal of Modern Accounting and Auditing. 9 (6). 777-789.
Artikel i tidskrift (Övrigt (populärvetenskap, debatt))
Semenova, N. (2012). A share of the price - ESG found to be a part of stock market value. Magesine. 12-14.
Artikel, recension (Refereegranskat)
Semenova, N., Hassel, L., Nilsson, H. (2010). The value relevance of environmental and social performance : evidence from Swedish SIX 300 companies. Liiketaloudellinen Aikakauskirja. Association of Business Schools Finland (ABS). (3). 265-292.
Doktorsavhandling, monografi (Övrigt vetenskapligt)
- Semenova, N. (2011). Essays on the Value Relevance of Environmental and Social Performance. Doctoral Thesis. Painosalama. 139.
Kapitel i bok, del av antologi (Refereegranskat)
- Semenova, N. (2021). An analysis of business actions in private social reporting. Handbook of Sustainability-Driven Business Strategies in Practice. Edward Elgar Publishing. 323-337.
- Hassel, L.G., Semenova, N. (2019). Engagement dialogue as a Nordic sustianable and responsible investment (SRI) strategy. Challenges in managing sustainable business : reporting, taxation, ethics and governance. Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan. 179-204.
- Semenova, N. (2019). The value relevance of carbon disclosure strategies : a review of accounting research. Business strategies for sustainability. Abingdon-on-Thames, Routledge. 264-284.
Kapitel i bok, del av antologi (Övrigt vetenskapligt)
- Hassel, L., Semenova, N. (2013). The added value of environmental, social and governance performance and sustainable and responsible investment on company and portfolio levels - what can we learn from research?. CSR and beyond : a Nordic perspective. Norway, Cappelen Damm AS. 137-163.
- Berg, N. (2023). Sustainability Reporting : Opportunities and Challenges. Presented at AES (Akademin för ekonomistyrning i staten) Forskardag 2023, Stockholm University, January 12, 2023.
- Berg, N. (2023). The mitigation of negative environmental impacts. .
- Berg, N. (2022). Due-diligence and private environmental disclosure. Presented at Nationella Redovisningskonferensen, Lund, Sweden, December 1-2, 2022.
- Semenova, N. (2020). The discourse of company actions in private social reporting. Presented at the 21th Annual Conference on Finance and Accounting, Prague, Czech Republic, May 22, 2020.
- Semenova, N. (2020). The public effects of private sustainability disclosure : a Nordic stakeholder governance perspective. Presented at the 4th International Conference on European Company Law and Corporate Governance: "The Role of Sustainable Company for Sustainable Society in post COVID-19 time", Zagreb, Croatia, November 26-27, 2020.
- Semenova, N., Hassel, L. (2019). Efficiency of engagement related to sustainability performance of companies. The Nordic Conference in Management Accounting, Linköping, Sweden, January 31-February 1, 2019.
- Semenova, N., Hassel, L. (2018). ESG risk management in MSCI World companies : the influence of institutional investors. The 2018 Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand (AFAANZ) Conference, Auckland, New Zealand, July 1-3, 2018.
- Semenova, N., Hassel, L. (2017). Influence of private shareholder activism on company ESG disclosure and performance. The 40th European Accounting Association Annual Congress, Valencia, Spain, May 10-12, 2017.
- Semenova, N. (2017). Accountability for climate change : the valuation effects of carbon disclosures. The 43rd European International Business Academy (EIBA) Conference: "International Business in the Information Age", Milan, Italy, December 14-16, 2017.
- Semenova, N., Hassel, L. (2016). ESG risk management by Nordic institutional investors. 28th Asian-Pacific Conference on International Accounting Issues : Program & Proceedings : November 6-9, 2016, Maui, Hawaii. 73-73.
- Semenova, N., Hassel, L. (2016). Corporate environmental, social and governance (ESG) engagements. Research seminar on responsible business : March 16-17 2016, Tampere, Finland.
- Semenova, N., Hassel, L. (2014). A comparative study of environmental risk and opportunity metrics. Proceedings of the 14th International Scientific Conference: 'Economics and Management - Methods, Models, Technology', Ufa, Russia, October 9-11, 2014. 57-60.
- Semenova, N., Hassel, L., Cerin, P. (2012). Energy performance and housing prices. PRI-CBERN Academic Network Conference "Evolution of Responsible Investment: Navigating Complexity", October 1-3 2012, Toronto, Canada.
- Semenova, N., Hassel, L. (2011). Asymmetry in value relevance of environmental performance : Role of industry and size. PRI−Mistra/SIRP Academic Conference "Dynamics of Responsible Investment" September 27-28 2011, Stigtuna, Sweden.
- Semenova, N. (2011). Information asymmetry in environmental information : Evidence on size and industry effects on market value among Swedish SIX 300 companies. Oikos/PRI Young Scholars Finance Academy "The Future of Responsible Investment", January 23-28 2011, Gais, Switzerland.
Konferensbidrag (Övrigt vetenskapligt)
- Berg, N. (2022). The Value of Environmental, Social and Governance Factors. Presented at MIRAI 2.0 Research and Innovation Conference - "Sharing ONE future: Integrative Knowledge and Sustainable Transformation towards a Better World", November 15-18, Fukuoka, Japan.
- Semenova, N. (2021). Management control systems in response to social and environmental risk. .