Natalia undertakes research and teaching in accounting. Her current teaching includes management accounting, corporate governance, accounting theory, and research methods. Research interests focus on accounting and finance for sustainability. Her current research interests explore ESG engagement for external risk mangement. Before joining Linnaeus University, Natalia held positions at Umeå University and Åbo Akademi University. She received her Dr.Sc. degree in Accounting from Åbo Akademi University in Finland. Her research has been awarded the Finland's Sustainable Investment Forum Award, the Distinguished Scholar Award and the Outstanding Research Award. Natalia has been a member of the Sustainable Investment Research Platform (SIRP), which has been financed by Mistra, the Foundation for Strategic Environmental Research (Sweden).
Artikel i tidskrift (Refereegranskat)
- Semenova, N., Hassel, L. (2019). Private engagement by Nordic institutional investors on environmental, social, and governance risks in global companies. Corporate governance : An International Review. 27. 144-161.
- Semenova, N., Hassel, L. (2016). The moderating effects of environmental risk of the industry on the relationship between corporate environmental and financial performance. Journal of Applied Accounting Research. 17. 97-114.
- Semenova, N. (2015). Environmental management and corporate performance : reviewing the moderating role of environmental impacts of the industry. Economic Systems. 4. 24-30.
- Semenova, N., Hassel, L. (2015). On the Validity of Environmental Performance Metrics. Journal of Business Ethics. 132. 249-258.
- Cerin, P., Hassel, L., Semenova, N. (2014). Energy performance and housing prices. Sustainable Development. 22. 404-419.
- Semenova, N., Hassel, L. (2013). Asymmetry in value relevance of environmental performance (EP) information : contingency effects of size and industry. Journal of Modern Accounting and Auditing. 9. 777-789.
- Semenova, N., Hassel, L. (2019). Efficiency of engagement related to sustainability performance of companies. .
- Semenova, N., Hassel, L. (2018). ESG risk management in MSCI World companies: The influence of institutional investors. Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand (AFAANZ), July 1-3 2018, Auckland, New Zealand..
- Semenova, N. (2017). Accountability for climate change : the valuation effects of carbon disclosures. Presented at the 43rd European International Business Academy (EIBA) Conference: "International Business in the Information Age", Milan, Italy, December 14-16, 2017.
- Semenova, N., Hassel, L. (2017). Influence of private shareholder activism on company ESG disclosure and performance. Presented at the 40th European Accounting Association Annual Congress, Valencia, Spain, May 10-12, 2017.
- Semenova, N., Hassel, L. (2016). Corporate environmental, social and governance (ESG) engagements. Research seminar on responsible business : March 16-17 2016, Tampere, Finland.
- Semenova, N., Hassel, L. (2016). ESG risk management by Nordic institutional investors. 28th Asian-Pacific Conference on International Accounting Issues : Program & Proceedings : November 6-9, 2016, Maui, Hawaii. 73-73.
- Semenova, N., Hassel, L. (2014). A comparative study of environmental risk and opportunity metrics. Proceedings of the 14th International Scientific Conference: 'Economics and Management - Methods, Models, Technology', Ufa, Russia, October 9-11, 2014. 57-60.
- Semenova, N., Hassel, L., Cerin, P. (2012). Energy performance and housing prices. PRI-CBERN Academic Network Conference "Evolution of Responsible Investment: Navigating Complexity", October 1-3 2012, Toronto, Canada.
- Semenova, N., Hassel, L. (2011). Asymmetry in value relevance of environmental performance : Role of industry and size. PRI−Mistra/SIRP Academic Conference "Dynamics of Responsible Investment" September 27-28 2011, Stigtuna, Sweden.
- Semenova, N. (2011). Information asymmetry in environmental information : Evidence on size and industry effects on market value among Swedish SIX 300 companies. Oikos/PRI Young Scholars Finance Academy "The Future of Responsible Investment", January 23-28 2011, Gais, Switzerland.
Kapitel i bok, del av antologi (Refereegranskat)
- Hassel, L.G., Semenova, N. (2019). Engagement dialogue as a Nordic sustianable and responsible investment (SRI) strategy. Challenges in managing sustainable business : reporting, taxation, ethics and governance. Basingstoke, Palgrave Macmillan. 179-204.
- Semenova, N. (2019). The value relevance of carbon disclosure strategies : a review of accounting research. Business strategies for sustainability. Abingdon-on-Thames, Routledge.
Artikel, recension (Refereegranskat)
- Semenova, N., Hassel, L., Nilsson, H. (2010). The value relevance of environmental and social performance : evidence from Swedish SIX 300 companies. Liiketaloudellinen Aikakauskirja. Association of Business Schools Finland (ABS). 265-292.
Kapitel i bok, del av antologi (Övrigt vetenskapligt)
- Hassel, L., Semenova, N. (2013). The added value of environmental, social and governance performance and sustainable and responsible investment on company and portfolio levels - what can we learn from research?. CSR and beyond : a Nordic perspective. Norway, Cappelen Damm AS. 137-163.
- Semenova, N., Hassel, L. (2011). Value of corporate responsibility. Corporate responsibility. Kahbarovsk, Khabarovsk State Academy of Economics and Law. 144-148.
Doktorsavhandling, monografi (Övrigt vetenskapligt)
- Semenova, N. (2011). Essays on the Value Relevance of Environmental and Social Performance. Doctoral Thesis. Painosalama. 139.
Artikel i tidskrift (Övrigt (populärvetenskap, debatt))
- Semenova, N. (2012). A share of the price - ESG found to be a part of stock market value. Magesine. 12-14.