My research interests center on music and sound as parts of intermedial and multimodal media constellations, and in particular on the role and function of sound and music in different types of animation films.
In my ongoing PhD project, I focus on music in children's animation features, trying to locate the musical potential for meaning in the interaction between: formal, multimodal features of the films; the social context of the viewing situation; and the active interpretation and reception processes the child is engaged in. The project is based on an interdisciplinary framework drawing primarily on qualitative audience reception studies, multimodality studies and musicology, analyzing a selected range of popular animation features from a 'textual' perspective as well as exploring children's verbalizations of their actual experiences of the films through qualitative group interviews.
Linnaeus University Centre for Intermedial and Multimodal Studies (IMS) IMS är en tvärvetenskaplig miljö som utforskar relationer och interaktioner mellan medier. Forskningen spänner över främst…
Centre for Childhood Research in Literature, Language and Learning Centre for Childhood Research in Literature, Language and Learning (CHILLL) samlar forskare inom humaniora som sysslar med forskning…
Artikel i tidskrift (Refereegranskat)
- Jensen, S.K., Pop-Tiron, C. (2020). Conceptualising the Aurora : An Exploration of Performative Understanding Through Interactive Art. Nordlit. 46. 31-51.
Konferensbidrag (Övrigt vetenskapligt)
- Jensen, S.K. (2019). Exploring children’s understanding of, and aesthetic involvement with, animated films. Audience Research in the Arts Conference : 3–5 July 2019, The University of Sheffield. 64-64.
- Jensen, S.K., Schirrmacher, B. (2019). Wagner Attacks : “The Ride of the Valkyries” in War and Propaganda. Sounds of Mass Media: Music in Journalism and Propaganda : Program with abstracts. 3-4.
- Jensen, S.K. (2019). Musicalised Characters : A study of music, multimodality, and the empiric child perspective on mainstream animation. NordMedia 2019, Communication, Creativity & Imagination : Malmö 21-23 August 2019.
- Jensen, S.K., Gutowska, A. (2019). Pride and Prejudice and Music : The use of film music for presenting the heroine’s uniqueness. Jane Austen and Co.: The enduring popularity of women writers of the past.
- Jensen, S.K. (2018). Animating characters through music : A multimodal and musical framework for character analysis exemplified through Pixar’s 'Up'. Symbiotic Cinema, Confuences between film and other media : 24th Sercia Conference, 6-8 September 2018 - Växjö, Sweden. 44-45.
- Jensen, S.K. (2018). Exploring children’s understanding and interpretation of music in animated film : A multimodal framework. Researching Multimodal Childhood Symposium 2018.
- Jensen, S.K. (2018). Multimodal depth in film : A proposal for a multimodal and sound-oriented approach to intersemiotic analysis. Presented at the 9th International Conference on Multimodality, 9ICOM : August 15-17, 2018, at the University of Southern Denmark in Odense, Denmark.
- Jensen, S.K. (2017). Sound as Animation. SAS 2017, Society for Animation Studies : Università degli Studi di Padova, Dipartimento dei Beni Culturali, July 3-7, 2017.
- Jensen, S.K. (2017). Sound as animation : An investigation into the indexical and reality-inducing function of sound in animation features. Music and the Moving Image, New York, May 26-28, 2017.